Home Blog Page 173

Peter Obi Is Bigger Than Labour Party, Will Contest Again In 2027 – Kenneth

Spokesperson of the Labour Party Presidential Campaign Council, in the 2023 Presidential election, Kenneth Okonkwo has said the crisis rocking the party would not affect Peter Obi who he said will run for the presidency again in 2027.
According to him, politics is about the candidate and not the political party.
Speaking in an interview with Arise TV, Okonkwo said that Peter Obi represents “a new Nigeria” regardless of any political platform he is contesting on.
“2027 is about Peter Obi, not about Labour Party. “Anybody who is bringing Peter Obi on the table, is bringing the new Nigeria, a new third force, absolute victory.
“When you come to elections, you talk about candidates, not political parties. Peter Obi electrified Labour Party. “He has no business to lose sleep over whatever is happening in any political party. How many months did he join Labour Party? And he made what he made. “People are loyal to his person. The new Nigeria is loyal to his people.”

If We Desire Nigeria To Progress, We Must Pray For Tinubu – Ex President Buhari

Former President Muhammadu Buhari has advised Nigerians to embark on praying for the sucess of the administration of President Bola Tinubu which he said would translate to the progress of the country.
Buhari said: “praying for a leader is imperative as his success and well-being are for the nation (everyone).
“The accomplishments of the new administration (of President Bola Tinubu) must be seen as national achievements.”
The former President, who spoke with President Tinubu on phone today, March 29, according to his spokesperson, Garba Shehu, in a statement, “prayed profusely for Tinubu’s success.”
Buhari seized the opportunity of the phone conversation to passed on his best wishes for Tinubu’s happy 72nd birthday which he marked today, March 29.
“In the course of the conversation, the former President said he was fully committed to the success of the APC administration under President Tinubu.”

CBN Pegs A Minimum Capital Base Of N500 Billion For Banks

CBN-Office-Abuja

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has introduced revised minimum capital requirements for banks, mandating commercial banks with international authorization to maintain a minimum capital base of ₦500 billion.

This directive, outlined in a circular signed by Haruna Mustafa, Director of the Financial Policy and Regulation Department, applies to commercial, merchant, and non-interest banks, with a transition period of 24 months starting April 1, 2024, and ending on March 31, 2026.

Confirming the directive, CBN spokesperson Hakama Sidi Ali emphasized that commercial banks with national authorization must now hold a minimum capital base of ₦200 billion, while those with regional authorization require ₦50 billion.

Merchant banks are mandated to maintain ₦50 billion, and non-interest banks, ₦20 billion for national authorization and ₦10 billion for regional authorization.

The announcement follows recent remarks by CBN Governor Olayemi Cardoso urging banks to expedite capital base recapitalization efforts to fortify the financial system.

Cardoso had previously stated that commercial banks would be directed to increase capital to support the $1 trillion economic vision of President Bola Tinubu’s administration.

The last capital increase for banks occurred in 2005 during Charles Soludo’s tenure as CBN Governor, raising the capital base from ₦2 billion to ₦25 billion. To assist banks in meeting the new requirements, the CBN has suggested various strategies including equity injections, mergers, and acquisitions.

Banks must submit implementation plans by April 30, 2024, outlining their chosen methods and timelines. The CBN will monitor compliance and expects all new banking license applications to adhere to the revised capital requirements, effective April 1, 2024. Pending license applications must also fulfill the new capital demands by March 31, 2026, to proceed.

Delta Monarch Declared Wanted Surrenders

Clement Ikolo, the King of Ewu Kingdom in Delta State, who was among the 17 people declared wanted by the Nigerian Military yesterday, has voluntarily surrendered himself to the Delta State Police Command.

According to the Delta State Police Command spokesperson who confirmed his custody, Bright Edafe, Ikolo arrived at the state police command headquarters on Thursday evening, promptly presenting himself to Police Commissioner Olufemi Abaniwonda at precisely 6:41 pm.

In an interaction with the media before his surrender, the monarch resolutely maintained his innocence regarding the matter.

Earlier on the same day, the Defence Headquarters had issued a list of individuals wanted for their alleged involvement in the tragic loss of military personnel.

Alongside Ikolo, the wanted individuals included Prof. Ekpekpo Arthur, Andaowei Dennis Bakriri, Akevwru Daniel Omotegbo (also known as Amagben), Akata Malawa David, Sinclear Oliki, Reuben Baru, and Igoli Ebi.

Prices Of Cement Crash In Abuja

The prices of cement in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja have decreased between 22 per cent and 26 per cent for a 50kg bag in the last five weeks.
A market survey in Jabi, Area 10, Kubwa, Lugbe, Utako, Lifecamp and Gwarimpa showed the price of Dangote and BUA cement dropped to N7,800 and N11,000 per 50kg bag from 10,000 and N15,000 on February 16, 2024.
A retailer in Kubwa, Rukiyat Abdullahi said that the price has dropped to N7800 for Dangote while BUA is N11,000 per bag.
“Dangote is now N7,800 while BUA is N11,000 per bag from N10,000 and 15,000 it was sold weeks ago.”
At Gwarimpa, a retailer, Yinka Adebayo, confirmed that the cement price has dropped compared to what it was weeks ago.
“We sell Dangote cement at N7800 per bag while BUA is N11,000 from 10,000 and 15,000; it was sold a month ago.”
Cement was also sold at N7,800 and N11,000 per 50kg in Jabi, Utako, Area 10, and Lifecamp.
Reacting to the development, the Director of the Centre for the Promotion of Private Enterprise, Dr Muda Yusuf, said that the price reduction came as a result of an improved macroeconomic environment.
“It results from improved supply chain and macroeconomic environment such as the Naira appreciation against the US dollar at the foreign exchange market.”
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu had earlier asked cement manufacturers to revert to the old price.
Source: Daily Post.

Kuriga Kids: Where Is Lágbájá Of Kaduna, By Yushau A. Shuaib

Yushau Shaibu

Nigerian afrobeat musician Bisade Ologunde is better known by his stage name, Lagbaja. His signature face mask denotes him as the country’s everyman—the faceless individual.
As a Yoruba word, Lágbájá means a person whose name and identity are purposely concealed or an invisible person. He is somebody, anybody, and everyone. He is the soul of the community.
It was pretty interesting, if not surprising, when in March 2021, the Chief of Army Staff, now deceased General Ibrahim Attahiru, appointed Major General Taoreed Abiodun Lagbaja as General Officer Commanding the 82 Division of the Nigerian Army.
I initially wondered how anyone would bear Lágbájá as a name beyond just a generic appellation. I later learned the indisputable fact—that the military officer’s family name evolved from his father’s car dealership business, Lagbaja Motors, especially in Osun State.
As the GOC in Enugu, this peculiar Lagbaja in the Army displayed the uncanny leadership trait of being both hot and cool in instilling a high level of discipline among the troops. He sought to refine every man—every officer—into the best version of their professional selves. With his carrot and stick approach deployed in equal measure, there was always the reward for gallantry and good conduct, in tandem with punishment for cowardice and misconduct.
For instance, in June 2022, while inaugurating a general court martial to try some soldiers for alleged indiscipline, Lagbaja stated that the process was to instill overall discipline in the army by punishing erring officers in a manner that would serve as a deterrent to others.
The following month, while honouring some soldiers with brand new motorcycles and awarding them letters of commendation for diligence in their duties, Lagbaja described their performances as laudable while charging other soldiers to emulate the exemplary conduct of the honourees.
After the death of General Attahiru in a plane crash, the new Chief of Army Staff, Lt General Faruk Yahaya, redeployed Lagbaja to Kaduna as the GOC of the 1st Division due to the deplorable activities of bandits and terrorists in that axis, which had become a grave source of concern, and was spilling into and constituting a threat to Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory.
It was in Kaduna that General Lagbaja rose into a household name as he led the battle against violent criminals from the front. Rather than simply mounting roadblocks, he and the troops he commanded waded deep into the forests, taking the war to the enemies in their conclaves.
In the first month of his assumption of office as the 39th GOC of the 1st Division of the Nigerian Army, Major General Lagbaja stormed kidnappers’ dens. He rescued the victims while leading fighting patrols in Manini village, Buruku, Udawa, Manini, Birnin Gwari, Doka, Maganda, Kuyello and Dogon Dawa communities. Apart from eliminating scores of bandits, others were captured alive.
The following month, September 2022, the troops under his command struck the camps of the notorious banditry gangs of Boderi Isiya and Musti, which were responsible for the security breach at the Nigerian Defence Academy, the kidnappings of students of the Federal College of Forestry Mechanisation, the attack on the Emir of Bungudu, among other such atrocities.
In the operation, the troops eliminated kingpins such as Musti, Yellow Mai-Madrid, and Dan-Katsinawa, among others, whose battered corpses littered the operational areas, especially along the Tollgate and other axis of Chikun and Sabon Gida.
Similarly, in October 2022, the troops sustained their onslaught against bandits. They recovered massive caches of weapons during the Operation Forest Sanity campaign traversing Maidaro, Kagi Hill, Kusharki and Anguwan Madaki in Birnin Gwari Local Government Area. The clearance operation extended to Sabon Birnin – Zartake, Ungwan Lima Riyawa and Tungan Madaki general area, with the interception of numerous fleeing bandits from Kagi Hill.
In fact, from November 2022 till June 2023, the military operations led by Lagbaja as GOC led to the wiping out of many terrorists and the rescue of kidnapped victims, besides the recovery of sophisticated weapons and hoards of ammunition and motorcycles in the general area of responsibility.
The then Governor of Kaduna State, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, was so delighted with the various military successes that he regularly issued statements through his Commissioner for Internal Security, Samuel Aruwan, praising Lagbaja and his troops for the commendable feats and notable security breakthroughs made since he took command of the Division.
Likewise, the then Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lieutenant General Faruk Yahaya, through the Army Spokesperson, General Nwachukwu, applauded Lagbaja and his gallant troops for their unrelenting zeal in decimating banditry and terrorism in that axis.
In July 2023, after the inauguration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, General Lagbaja, who was the arrowhead of the successes that troops were recording against armed bandits, terrorists and cattle rustlers in Kaduna and surrounding states, was redeployed to an administrative position in the military high command in Abuja, beyond the operational one that he had made a massive success of.
Since then, Kaduna has not been the same, making me often ask where the Lagbaja of Kaduna was, as we are now – very unfortunately – inundated with reports of attacks on worship centres, homes and the abduction of vulnerable people, especially women and schoolchildren.
The situation in Kaduna is so disturbing that almost every month, there are devastating stories of woe and routine assault on the people who have now become hapless victims of banditry and terrorism. The PRNigeria Monthly Security Reviews provide glimpses of many of these atrocities.
For instance, in January 2024, terrorists attacked Ungwan Sako, Kunkurai, and Dokan Kaji in Dawaki Ward in Kauru Local Government Area, from where they abducted dozens of people after killing a number of the locals.
In February, terrorists invaded Gindin Dutse Makyali village in the Kufana district of Kajuru and burnt several houses. At least 12 people were burnt to death in their rooms, as it became impossible for them to escape the bandits, who were also shooting sporadically. They also killed the Principal of Kuriga Secondary in Chikun for resisting a kidnap attempt while making efforts to escape with some women. The terrorists similarly invaded Gwada and Kassam in Igabi, as well as areas in Kauru, killing and maiming people. At the same time, scores were also abducted, including a retired Central Bank of Nigeria director.
The month of March witnessed more daring attacks and massive kidnappings. After the daredevil bandits abducted over 280 Kuriga schoolchildren, another group of gunmen opened fire on worshippers during the Friday prayer at a Mosque in Angwar Makera, Kwasakwasa Community, a few days before the commencement of Ramadan.
Terrorists also attacked the Kajuru-Station village and a nearby Dogon Noma community, where over 100 people were reportedly abducted, including women and children, as usual. Similar situations occurred as the miscreants stormed Tantau ward, looting local shops, before fleeing with dozens of men and women herded away like cattle. Even in the Buda community, also in Kajuru, no fewer than 61 people were reportedly abducted in another organised attack.
Kidnappings for ransom payments have become an almost daily occurrence and lucrative businesses for criminal gangs as if the security services are powerless and helpless to stop them.
While it is gladdening that the Kuriga kids’ freedom has been secured after they were held for more than two weeks in the criminals’ den, I still ask: Can’t we get another Lagbaja of Kaduna to re-strategise and lead the troops from the front towards degradations of criminal activities while restoring the people’s confidence in the safety of the axis?

Yushau A. Shuaib wrote in from Abuja www.YAShuaib.com

Former Attorney-General, Mohammed Adoke Acquitted In Corruption Trial

In a significant development, Justice Abubakar Kutigi of the FCT High Court today, March 28, dismissed all charges of fraud, bribery, and conspiracy filed against former Attorney-General of the Federation, Mohammed Adoke, by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Following a no-case submission by Adoke, Justice Kutigi ruled that the EFCC failed to substantiate its allegations of fraud, bribery, and money laundering, concluding that the defendant had no case to answer. Adoke was subsequently discharged and acquitted on all counts.

The court found the EFCC’s allegations of illegal tax waivers to Shell and Eni lacking corroboration from the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) or any other authority. Additionally, the court ruled that the EFCC did not provide sufficient evidence to support the alleged N300 million bribe given to Adoke by Aliyu Abubakar.

While the EFCC acknowledged its lack of evidence to oppose Adoke’s no-case application, it maintained that Rasky Gbinigie, also charged in the case, had a case to answer for alleged forgery of company documents.

The case against Adoke and Abubakar before Justice Inyang Ekwo of the Federal High Court in Abuja remains ongoing, with Adoke having filed a no-case submission.

This trial, while not directly related to the OPL 245 transaction, carries similar charges related to alleged bribery in connection with the oil block’s sale to Shell and Eni by Malabu Oil & Gas Ltd in 2011.

Adoke continues to deny all allegations, awaiting the ruling from Justice Ekwo in the separate trial.

Nigerian Military Declares Delta Monarch, 7 Others Wanted

The Nigerian Army Defense Headquarters has issued a list of eight individuals wanted in connection with the killing of 17 soldiers in Okuama Community on March 14th.

Among them is HRM Clement Ikolo, the newly installed traditional ruler of Ewu Kingdom in Delta State.

Also on the list is suspected militant leader Akevwru Daniel Omotegbono, known as Amagbein, who soldiers tracked to Igbomoturu community in Bayelsa State but missed capturing.

Other wanted individuals include Prof Ekpekpo Arthur, the president-general of Ewu, and Reuben Baru, who gained attention for a viral video explaining the soldiers’ killings.

Andaowei Dennis Bakriri and Igoli Ebi, purportedly the mother of one suspect, are also wanted. Atata Malaw David and Sinclear Oliki are believed to be associated with the Amagbein gang.

Ex Reps Member, Cairo Ojougboh, For Burial April 19 In Delta

Former member of the Nigeria’s House of Representatives, Dr. Cairo Ojougboh, who died on February 7, 2024, will, according to the family, buried on April 19 in Agbor, Delta State.
The late Cairo Ojougboh died, aged 64.
He was described as a grassroot politician who contributed immensely to the development of Delta State and the nation at large.
Friends and colleagues said that he was a prominent, fearless and outspoken politician without prejudice to tribe or tongue.
They said that the deceased was conscientious, amiable, accessible and generous to all who came across him and was committed to serving the public interest and improving the lives of citizens.
Late Cairo Ojougboh represented Ika Federal Constituency of Delta State in the House of Representatives from 2003 to 2007 and a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Delta State.
He was also an Executive Director Project of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC).
The family said that Internment will take place immediately after a Funeral Mass, scheduled to start by 10:00a.m. at the St. John The Baptist Catholic Church along Old Lagos/Asaba Road, Agbor in Delta State.
Other lined-up burial activities that will precede the interment are Requiem Mass on Thursday, April 16, 2024 by 4:00p.m. at the Church for The Assumption, Asokoro, Abuja and Vigil Mass on Thursday, April 18, 2024 by 4:00 p.m. at All Saints Catholic Church, Alihame, Agbor, Delta State.
The Christian Wake will take place on Thursday, April 18, 2024 between 6:00p.m. and 10:00p.m. at the Ojougboh Family Compound, Alihame, Agbor, Delta State.
The burial activities shall be capped with a Thanksgiving Mass on Sunday April 21, 2024 at All Saints Catholic Church, Alihame, Agbor, Delta State by 9:00a.m.

Buhari To Tinubu: My Family And I Are Praying For You Daily 

“My family and I pray to God that you remain healthy and happy and continue to work for the betterment of the country.”
This was contained in a birthday message from the immediate past Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari to his successor, President Bola Tinubu as he marks 72nd birthday tomorrow March 29.
In the message by his spokesperson, Garba Shehu, the former President acknowledged Tinubu’s “sustained efforts to overcome the many problems of the country.”
Buhari wished Tinubu good health and long life in order for the country to continue to benefit from his “excellent leadership.”
He further wished the man-of-the-moment many happy returns of the day, saying: “Happy birthday to you!”
Bola Ahmed Adekunle Tinubu was born on 29 March 1952 and is currently the 16th President of Nigeria.
He was the governor of Lagos State from 1999 to 2007, and senator for Lagos West in the Third Republic.

Advertisement ADVERTORIAL
WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com