The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has released the results of all candidates who sat for the rescheduled mock-Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) held yesterday, April 18.
In a statement today, April 19, the JAMB spokesperson, Dr. Fabian Benjamin said that with the successful conduct of the mock examination, all the challenges encountered which had led to the rescheduled mock examination had been tackled.
He said that JAMB has now consolidated the software and is ready to give Nigerians the best.
It would be recalled that the mock examination was introduced by the Board to test the preparedness of its facilities as well as give candidates the opportunity to have hands-on experience of the Computer-Based Test (CBT) centres.
JAMB had earlier conducted the mock examination on Thursday, March 30, 2023, but some candidates could not sit for the exercise on account of some technical challenges occasioned by some new features being trialled by the Board.
It was these set of candidates, who sat the rescheduled examination in 387 centres across the country on Tuesday, April 18.
Benjamin said that the prompt release of results for the mock examination would not be replicated during the forthcoming UTME scheduled to commence from April 25, 2023.
The JAMB spokesman said that for the main UTME, the results would be released holistically, saying that the results of the entire eight-day exercise would be collated before they would be released to candidates.
“It is to be noted that the Board embarked on the screening of results to ensure that any UTME results obtained by any candidate is not a product of infractions and other unwholesome practices.
“This measure ensures that the Board would not have to release any particular result and then recall same on account of established case of malpractice.
“In the same vein, assessing the entire results enables the Board to obtain the overall standard deviation and the mean of the performance of all the candidates who sat the examination.
“By doing this, the Board is able to aggregate the general performance of all candidates who sat the examination and factor same into the national education planning template.”
The Presidency has indicated that the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) will appeal the judgment by Federal High Court in Abuja, restoring the official status of Senator Ifeanyi Ararume after being sacked. A statement today, April 19, from the Presidency signed by Special Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina said that NNPCL has already been given instruction to appeal the judgment. The statement said: “President Muhammadu Buhari has taken due notice of judgment by the Federal High Court, Abuja, restoring Senator Ifeanyi Ararume as the non-executive Chairman of Nigeria National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL). “While the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation /Minister for Justice is yet to receive a formal copy of the ruling, the President affirms that due judicial process will be followed, and NNPCL has already taken steps to go on appeal. “The Administration respects the Rule of Law, and nothing will be done outside it to resolve the matter.” The statement quoted President Buhari as calling for calm from all sides involved.
The Federal High Court, which restored the status of Senator Ararume, asked NNPCL to pay him the sum of N5 billion as general damages.
President Muhammadu Buhari has retired the acting Comptroller-General (CG) of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), Isah Jere Idris. This is sequel to the expiration of his initial extended one-year tenure as well as the dust raised by several Civil Society Organisations (CSOs), who warned the Presidency against another consideration for Jere. The development was contained in a secret notification of one year tenure extension expiration memo addressed to Jere. The memo, dated April 17, 2023 with code number CDCFIB/APPT.CG&DCG/61/VOL.IV/74 was signed by the secretary to the Civil Defence, Correctional, Fire and Immigration Services Board, Obasi Edozie Edmond, on the orders of the Board’s chairman, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, who is the Minister of Interior. Jere is by the retirement notice directed to hand over the duties and responsibilities of his office to the most senior officer in the Service, pending the appointment of a substantive CG of Immigration. Recall that Isah Jere Idris was appointed in acting capacity just before his retirement in April 2022 but got his tenure for one year ahead of its expiration. The extended tenure will automatically elapse on April 24, 2023. Source: People’s Security Monitor
The World Bank has predicted that 13 million Nigerians will be poor by the year 2025 even as it disclosed that the country is now spending 96.3 percent of government revenue on servicing debt in 2022.
This means that the country spends N96 out of every N100 of its revenue to service its debt.
The global financial institution stated this in its Macro Poverty Outlook for Nigeria: April 2023 brief released over the weekend.
Part of the report reads:
“The fiscal position deteriorated. In 2022, the cost of the petrol subsidy increased from 0.7 percent to 2.3 percent GDP.
“Low non-oil revenues and high-interest payments compounded fiscal pressures. The fiscal deficit was estimated at 5.0 percent of GDP in 2022, breaching the stipulated limit for federal fiscal deficit of 3 per cent.
“This has kept the public debt stock at over 38 per cent of GDP and pushed the debt service to revenue ratio from 83.2 per cent in 2021 to 96.3 per cent in 2022.”
In the brief, the World Bank said that the cash scarcity created by the CBN’s naira redesign policy hampered the country’s economic growth and poverty reduction efforts.
“Nigeria is in a more fragile position than before the late 2021 global oil price boom. Growth and poverty reduction have further been affected by cash scarcity in the context of the Naira redesign.
“The economy is projected to grow by an average of 2.9 percent per year between 2023 and 2025, only slightly above the population growth rate of 2.4 percent. Growth will be driven by services, trade, and manufacturing. Oil production is projected to remain subdued in part because of inefficiencies and insecurity.”
“With Nigeria’s population growth continuing to outpace poverty reduction and persistently high inflation, the number of Nigerians living below the national poverty line will rise by 13 million between 2019 and 2025 in the baseline projection.”
Nigeria is to pay N41.31 Billion as penalty for failure to service its debt to China to the tune of N110.31 billion in the last two years.
According to report by the Debt Management Office (DMO), the China debt stock included the principal and repayment charges.
DMO said that from January 2021 to December 2022, the principal fee stood at N69, 009,417,500 ($153.85million), while the interest charges amounted to the sum of N41, 311,455,000 ($92.1million).
The debts were incurred for the completion of the Nigeria Railway Modernisation Project (Idu-Kaduna Section), the Nigeria Railway Modernisation Project (Lagos-Ibadan Section) and the Nigeria Abuja Light Rail Project.
A breakdown of the data showed that in 2021, Idu-Kaduna Section’s principal fee was $ 38.46 million (N17.25bn) while interest earmarked is $ 9.5 million (N4.26bn).
The Lagos-Ibadan Section’s principal was not noted, but the interest stood at $ 24.07 million (N10.80bn).
During the period, the Abuja Light Rail Project had its principal fee at $ 38.46 million (N17.25bn), while the interest rate accumulated to $11.45 million (N5.14bn).
As at 2022, the principal on Idu-Kaduna Section was $38.46 million (N17.25bn), while the interest fee was $8.52 million (N3.82bn).
The Lagos-Ibadan Section interest fee stood the highest at $ 28.06 million (N12.59bn) with the principal amount not indicated.
The Abuja Light Rail Project principal was $38.46 million (N17.25bn), with accumulated interest charges of $10.48 million (N4.70bn).
The Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC) has been able to generate the sum N11, 606,737,070 in two years despite not being able to service its N41.31bn debt.
The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) said the sector realized N5,570,998,908 as revenue which fell by N464,739,254 compared to the N6,035,738,162 generated in 2021.
In 2021, railway services generated revenue of N5, 697,512,095 from passengers, with goods realizing the sum of N299, 805,884 and other income receipts earmarked N38,420,183. However, 2022 revenue indicated that N4,546,342,056 came from passengers, N416,856,190 was realized from goods and N607,800,662 was generated from other income.
This indicated that while revenue generated from passengers fell in 2022, the goods and other income increased in productivity.
The NRC had earlier disclosed that Insecurity is impeding the growth of rail services in Nigeria.
Facts have emerged to show that no fewer than 288 children, grand and great grand children of Sheikh Dahiru Usman Bauchi, 95 year old leader of the Islamic Sufi group, known as the Tijaniyyah in Nigeria, have memorized the 60-chapter Holy Qur’an.
The cleric is believed to have entered the Cholan Book Of World Records, and is the first person to receive such an award. Sheikh Dahiru Bauchi has 95 children, 406 grandchildren and 100 great grandchildren. It was gathered that out of the 95 children, 77 have committed the whole contents of the Holy Qur’an to memory, even as 199 grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren have achieved the same feat. It is confirmed that no human on earth have ever achieved such feat in the history of the world.
The Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the February 25 election in Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar has thanked the people of Adamawa State for resisting who he described as ” coupists and enemies of democracy.”
In a message congratulating Governor Ahmadu Fintiri, over his victory at the governorship election which result was finally made today, April 18, by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Atiku said: “thank you to the people of Adamawa and men and women of goodwill for staying the course in resisting coupists and enemies of democracy from having their way.”
He said, in a tweet, that the lesson from the Adamawa election and the cloud it generated “is the need for Nigerians to be vigilant and never give in to anti-democratic forces whose objective is to snatch, run with and undermine the mandate of the people as freely expressed in their votes.
“By the way, it is not yet uhuru as we still have one more major mandate to reclaim, and together as ONE, we shall accomplish the task for the good of our country and its people.”
After a series of drama and controversies, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has finally declared the candidate of the Peoples democratic Party (PDP), Governor Ahmadu Umar Fintiri, as the winner of the 2023 Adamawa governorship election. The Returning Officer for the election, Professor Mele Lamido, announced that Fintiri polled a total of 430,861 votes to defeat his closest rival, Senator Aishatu Dahiru Binani of the APC, who was earlier declared illegally as winner, polling 396,788 votes. The declaration was made after the final collation of results today, April 18 in Yola, the State capital. INEC had suspended collation of results yesterday, April 17 as a result of what was seen as illegal declaration of Senator Aishatu Binani as the winner by the Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), Barrister Hudu Yunusa Ari. The INEC Commissioner for Voter Education, Barrister Festus Okoye, promptly described the announcement by REC as usurpation of the power of the Returning Officer for the election and therefore, declared it illegal, null and void. The Governorship election earlier held on March 18, 2023 in the state was declared inconclusive by the returning officer. Source: Promptnews.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has requested the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) to take further disciplinary action against the Adamawa Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), Barrister Hudu Yunusa Ari over what it called “unwholesome behaviour.” Rising from a meeting today, April 18, at its Headquarters in Abuja, INEC also recommends to the Inspector General of Police (IGP) to arrest and prosecute the REC. The electoral umpire said that the topic discussed at the meeting was mainly on the controversial Governorship election in Adamawa, saying that collation of the result which was suspended following the REC’s announcement at the time the results were not complete, will resume at a time to be determined by the Returning Officer. Detail later.
We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. By clicking “Accept”, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies.
This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.