Home Blog Page 662

I Won’t Provide Cover For Any Criminal, Whether My Relations Or Not – Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari has made it clear that his policy on corruption would always remain that he would not provide cover for anyone found to be corrupt whether or not such person is related to him.

Reacting to a story trending in the social media that the ICPC has declared “an inlaw of the President” wanted in connection with fraud involving the large sum of money , USD65 million to be exact, Buhari said such story should normaly be an affirmation  that his anti-corruption agencies/institutions are truly independent and allowed unfettered freedom, “which infact is the case.”

“That a state institution can issue such is a measure of the administration’s commitment to accountability, equality and justice.”

A statement today, May 14, by a presidential spokesman, Malam Garba Shehu, setting the record straight, said however that the person declared wanted  by the ICPC is not an inlaw to President Buhari.

“While at some point in time the said fugitive from justice had been linked to a family member in marriage, that relationship has ended some years ago. ” It is therefore unfortunate to bring the Presidents family into this case. It is in our view an attempt  to generate views and sell copies of sensational reporting.

“The President’s position at all times is that the law be allowed to take its course. As is well known of him, President Muhammadu Buhari will not provide any cover for crime,  no matter who is involved.”

Those Of Us In Authority Have Failed Our People, Kogi Governor Confesses

“Those of us that are still in authority today, how have we been able to implement programs that can benefit the lives of the people?

“How much have we taken the people seriously, how much have we accounted for what we have been entrusted with?”

These were the questions posed by the Kogi State Governor, Alhaji Yahaya Bello when he featured on Channels Television programme today, May 14.

Speaking to the call by the governors of the Southern part of the country on restructuring of the country, the Kogi State Governor faulted the move for restructuring, saying that the governors are also contributors to the bad governance in the country.

“My definition of restructuring is allowing the younger generation to take over the leadership of this country.

“In some quarters where the restructuring is sounding so loud, looking at history and performances, how have they been able to perform when they were given positions of authority in this country?

How We Killed 3 In Battle With Rice Smugglers In Oyo – Customs

The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), Federal Operation Unit (FOU), Zone A in Ibadan, has confirmed the death of three persons during a battle with rice smugglers yesterday, May 13, in Iseyin area of Oyo state.

In a statement today, May 14, the FOU Zone A spokesman, Theophilus Duniya, said that the customs officers who were on routine patrol intercepted two Nissan Pathfinder SUV vehicles fully loaded with smuggled foreign parboiled rice at Iseyin.

He said that the dare devil smugglers mobilized themselves with the help of some thugs on Thursday at about 3pm and attacked a Customs patrol, who were on lawful duty at Iseyin.

Duniya said that the mob attacked the officers with dangerous weapons which led to the infliction of serious injuries on two officers.

“They attempted to abduct one of the officers that was brutally attacked; who sustained deep cuts on his head and other parts of his body.

“The assailants had taken the injured officer with his rifle before his team members who acted in self defence, shot at the suspected abductors leading to the death of three of them before he was rescued and taken for immediate medical attention.

“The officers were able to successfully evacuate the intercepted smuggled rice, while the injured officers are currently receiving treatment.”

Duniya said that the Acting Controller of the Unit, DC Usman Yahaya, was sadden about the avoidable incident and urged community leaders and parents to call their wards and children to order.

Duniya said that the acting controller lamented the criminality of obstructing and attacking officers on lawful duty, describing it as a venture that yields no good for all including the Service.

“We appeal for compliance to extant rules and assures of the resolve of our men to remain resolute in discharging their duties in the best interest of Nigerians.”

Source: NAN.

Anambra Govt, PDP Fight Over Deduction In Workers’ Salaries

Governor Willie Obiano

The government of Anambra State, controlled by the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) and the State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), are fighting over deduction in the salaries of the workers in the state.

While the state Chairman of the party, Ndubuisi Nwobu, asked the governor, Willie Obiano to immediately stop the deduction, the government described the PDP claim as a total ignorance

The Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, C-Don Adinuba, in his reaction to what he called “PDP’s tantrum,” described is as an example of profound ignorance, driven by mischief.

“It’s an example of profound ignorance, driven by mischief. Ndiolu Microfinance Bank is owned by the workers and not the government.”

The PDP chairman, Nwobu had, in a statement today, May 14, said: “Anambra State under the incumbent governor, Chief Willie Obiano has practically been run underground.

“The level of infrastructural decay in our dear state is unprecedented and the All Progressive Grand Alliance -controlled government is unperturbed.

“It is on record that Anambra State civil servants belong to the class of least paid workers in Nigeria.

“States across the country that are not as endowed as Anambra State have since upgraded the salaries and entitlement of their workers in line with the nation’s minimum wage policy.

“It has come to our notice that deductions are being forcefully made from the workers’ meagre salaries for the recapitalisation of Ndiolu Micro Finance Bank.

“We at PDP are genuinely concerned about the welfare of Anambra State Civil Servants who are coerced to part with certain percentages of their meagre take home salaries.

“The development has raised more questions than answers and of course has demonstrated the insensitivity of the APGA controlled government to the plights of Anambra workers whose real income has suffered depreciation because of the galloping inflation in the nation.

“What a responsible and responsive government should be doing by now is to think of what to do to alleviate the suffering of the workers and not making things harder for them through illegal deductions from their salaries.”

But the commissioner said that it the workers who voluntarily “decided to recapitalize by deducting certain amount of money from their salaries, just the way some labour unions deduct check-off fees from workers.”

Source: Punch

There’re Powerful Corrupt Nigerians Buhari’s Govt Can’t Arrest, Bauchi Gov Alleges

Bala Muhammed

Bauchi State Governor, Bala Mohammed has alleged that there are corrupt influential people in the Nigeria who the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration cannot arrest or prosecute.

The governor said that the government is not fighting corruption appropriately by keeping some as sacred cows, even as he claimed that the government is not innovative on how to redeem the economy.

Speaking to news men yesterday, May 13, Bala Mohammed said: “I think the federal government is not even fighting the corruption they claimed to be fighting. There’s more corruption; perceptions are built that there are sacred cows; there are gods in this country who cannot be touched.”

How To Know Good Muslims, By Abuja Imam

The Imam of Chibiri Central Mosque in Kuje Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, Ustaz Mohammed has listed the characteristics of good Muslims.
In a sermon he delivered at Eid ground to mark the end of 30-day Ramadan Fast, Ustaz Mohammed said that good Muslims don’t tell lies and don’t steal.
He said that such Muslims would not like to cause harm to fellow human beings, whether or not they are Muslims like them.
“They are those who respect other peoples rights without making noise about it. And they take joy in doing justice amongst the people.”
According to him, any Muslims who always bear in mind that he can die at any time and is always conscious of meeting God in good condition is a good Muslim.
The Imam cautioned Muslims who participated in the 30-day Fast against relapsing into bad ways after the month.
“We should not allow our good deeds to end with Ramadan Fasting. We should not be like those who regard Fasting as leave only to return to bad ways after the month.”
Ustaz Mohammed prayed to God to assist the nation’s security operatives defeat the enemies of State that have created security challenges to the country.

400 Alleged Boko Haram Financiers To Be Tried In Special Courts – Justice Minister

Recently arrested 400 suspected Boko Haram financiers and other terror suspects in Nigeria will be tried in Special Terrorism Prosecution Courts, to soon be reconstituted.

The nation’s  Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, in a statement yesterday, May 13 his spokesman, Dr. Umar Jibrilu Gwandu, said that the move is part of the many measures to address insurgency and growing insecurity.

The minister gave assurance that the Federal Government is committed to end insecurity in the country.

He said that in addition to prosecution of 400 suspected Boko Haram financiers, the government has taken more measures to counter the twin trouble of insurgency and insecurity.

Malami said that very soon, the Federal Government will, through the Federal Ministry of Justice’s Complex Case Group, resuscitate and reinvigorate the existing special terrorism prosecution courts in the country in order to bring to book all those found guilty so as to serve as deterrence to others.

Buhari Describes Dogonyaro, Who Overthrew His Military Govt, As Legendary General

President Muhammadu Buhari has described retired Nigeria’s Chief of Defence Staff, Lieutenant General Joshua Dogonyaro, who died yesterday, May 13, as a “legendary general.”

Dogonyaro was he, that read the coup speech overthrowing Buhari in 1985, ushering in Ibrahim Babangida as military Head of State.

In a message of condolence, President Buhari said that the death of Dogonyaro is “a great loss not only to the Nigerian military, but also to the country because of his patriotic sacrifices in defence of its unity and territorial integrity.”

“The death of Dogonyaro comes as a great shock to me because as a soldier, I know what it means to lose such an officer and a gentleman who gave his best in the service of the country.”

Buhari said that Dogonyaro was a thoroughbred soldier who had professionally distinguished himself in the course of his military career.

“Laying down one’s life for the country is one of the greatest sacrifices any citizen can make to his country. General Dogonyaro’s incalculable contributions will be remembered for years to come.”

President Buhari extended deepest condolences to the Government and people of Plateau State on the passing of “this legendary general.”

WHO Gives FCTA Pass Mark On Its Rapid Response To COVID19 Pandemic

The World Health Organization (WHO), has described the response by the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) to the COVID-19 pandemic and other public health challenges as one of the best in Nigeria.

The Country representative of WHO, Dr. Walter Kazadi Mulombo who spoke today, May 13, when he led a delegation on a visit to the FCT Minister, Muhammad Musa Bello said “we will like to appreciate your leadership in the ongoing COVID-19 response, which clearly demonstrates your commitment to attaining the highest state of health for the FCT residents”.

“This is demonstrative in the Ministerial Advisory Committee on COVID-19 and robust outbreak response which you set up, leading to the highest containment, the highest testing rate per million as well as high vaccination rate of 2.1% of targeted population. It’s one of the highest in Nigeria and even in the world.”

He also commended the public private partnership through the Ministerial Expert Advisory Committee which established the Molecular diagnostic laboratory and which, according to Dr Mulombo, “Will improve access to testing for COVID-19 and other diseases and will go a long way in supporting early detection and response to diseases outbreak in the Territory”.

He applauded the Administration for its commitment to the improvement of maternal and child mortality rate in the FCT, saying that the establishment of a task force to address the issue in the Territory, will go a long way in identifying group causes of high maternal and child mortality rates and the development and implementation of programmes to address the challenges identified.

Dr. Mulombo said that WHO Is proud of the FCT’s achievement in this regard because its programmes  “really aligns with the UN Secretary General’s strategy for women, children and adolescent health 2016 – 2030, which is articulated around survive, thrive and transform, building on enabling environment.”

Responding, the Minister commended the WHO office in the FCT for its successes and pledged the Administration’s support for it and other UN programmes within the Territory.

The Minister also said that emphasis will be placed on  budgetary, support and counterpart funding in order to improve funding for WHO and other public health related programmes.

He however advised the World Health Organisation to continuously engage relevant private sector stakeholders and encourage private donors, within the country for improved  funding of its polio and other programmes.

“As you can see, the coalition of the private of sector people did very well with respect of rolling out the COVID-19 vaccine. So, the same thing could be done for the maintenance and sustainability of what has already been established on polio eradication.”

Insecurity: Know Who Live Amongst You, Minister advises Communities

 Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello has advised communities to know the people that live amongst them as a way of helping ensure adequate security for the residents, especially during the ongoing Sallah festivities.

“We have to ensure that communities make efforts to know who they stay with and also ensure that information is gathered and sent appropriately to the right people.”

The Minister, who spoke today, May 12 at the monthly FCT Security Committee meeting in Abuja also called on residents to always collaborate with security agencies to guarantee the safety and security of lives and property within their communities.

He said that community, traditional, political and religious leaders should encourage their members to understand that security should not be left to the security personnel alone but should be a collaborative effort of all.

Musa Bello said that the issue of security in schools was discussed extensively during the meeting and that measures are being taken to ensure safety in all educational institutions in the FCT.

This was even as the minister of State, Dr. Ramatu Tijjani Aliyu  said that the issue of beggars  on FCT streets which she said, constitutes security risks is being addressed.

The FCT Commissioner of Police assured residents that the Command would ensure the safety of lives and property during and after the Eid El- Fitr celebrations saying that the police has been re-jigging its strategies to meet ever evolving challenges.

Advertisement ADVERTORIAL
WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com