The Minority Leader of the House of Representatives, Ndudi Elumelu, has accused the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) of encouraging illegality by accepting into its fold, members of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the House who defected.
The latest members of the lower legislative chamber to defect to the APC are Aliyu Yako (Kano) and Danjuma Shiddi (Taraba). Yako and Shiddi switched to the APC from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) respectively.
Reacting to the defection, protested the decision of the lawmakers to join the APC, including the ones who did so last week.
The National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has stressed the need for the Nigerian army to change its strategy to be able to defeat Boko Haram, bandits and other criminal elements terrorizing Nigeria.
The former Lagos State Governor, who spoke yesterday, December 14 when he visited Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum, in Maiduguri, said: “we have been on this (Boko Haram) for some time. We have seen the reaction of the Federal Government, we have seen the reaction of the armed forces, this is no longer conventional warfare; this is more tactical, more reason, cruder.
“In such a situation, what we do is to re-plan our strategy. We have seen the Governor’s life been attacked more than one occasion in an effort to eliminate him but Allah is mighty. He has protected and will continue to protect you.”
Tinubu, who was on a sympathy visit to the Governor over the killing of farmers by Boko Haram insurgents, added that under insurgency governance would hardly excel.
“You can’t concentrate, become innovative, and excel if you have to make educational development in fear. We saw people who have endured so much agony, denial, brutality decided to run to their farms to develop means of livelihood not only for themselves but for all of us, at the end they were slaughtered. That’s not religion, it is not in our religion (Islam), it is not in Christianity either, it is an act of wickedness.”
In his response, Governor Zulum expressed appreciation on which he described as “special visit” by the national leader of the APC.
He reiterated the commitment of his administration to doing whatever it can towards protecting the lives and property of the Borno people.
The leader of the Boko Haram, Abubakar Shekau, has said that his men abducted over 300 students of the Government Science Secondary School in Kankara local government area of Katsina State to discourage Western education in Nigeria, as well as to promote Islam.
In an audio message he posted on SoundCloud today, December 15, Shekau said that the “government was not teaching the pupils what Allah and his Holy Prophet Muhammed commanded,” and that they will continue to abduct students in different schools to show their condemnation of Western education.
Shekau added that “un-Islamic practices such as Western education” in the country must be abolished as that has been one of the cardinal campaigns against the Nigerian government.
“What happened in Katsina was done to promote Islam and discourage un-Islamic practices as Western education is not the type of education permitted by Allah and his Holy Prophet Muhammed,” the terrorist leader said in the audio message.
“The government is promoting Western education and they are also not teaching what Allah and his Holy Prophet commanded. They are rather destroying Islam. It may be subtle, but Allah, the Lord of the skies and earth, knows whatever is hidden. May Allah promote Islam. May we die as Muslims. In a nutshell, we are behind what happened in Katsina.”
On Friday, December 11, gunmen had stormed the Government Science Secondary School in Kankara local government area of Katsina State on motorcycles, shooting sporadically and abducted the students in their hostels.
Though there have been conflicting figures in respect of the actual number of students taken away by the kidnappers, the state Governor, Aminu Bello Masari said about 333 students were kidnapped, but the Presidency through Garba Shehu, Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, countered the number, insisting that only 10 students were abducted.
Katsina State Governor, Aminu Masari has said that 17 students of Government Secondary School, Kankara, have been found and reunited with their parents.
In an interview with a German radio, Deutsche Welle (DW) aired in Hausa language, the Governor said: “As at today (Monday), information available to me shows that 17 of the missing children have been found. 15 of them were found around Dinya in Danmusa (LGA). I was informed by the DPO. One other student was found through them and the last, the father called that his son has returned home.
“All these missing children found have been reunited with their families since we have shut down schools.
“Majority of the students are in the forest in Zamfara. Efforts are on for their rescue.”
Secretary-General António Guterres UN Photo/Cia Pak
The United Nations (UN) has reaffirmed its solidarity and support for the Nigerian Federal Government in the war against terrorists and bandits.
Secretary-General of the world body, Antonio Guterres, in a statement today, December 14, by the spokesman, Stephane Dujarric in New York, reaffirmed the “solidarity and support” of the organization to the Federal Government and Nigerians in their fight “against terror, violent extremism and organized crime”.
Reacting specifically to the abduction of 333 students of the Government Science Secondary School, Kankara in Katsina State by suspected bandits on December 11, the UN Scribe called for “immediate and unconditional” release of the students.
The secretary-general strongly condemned the abduction and warned that attacks on schools and other educational facilities constitute a grave violation of human rights.
He insisted that security agencies should arrest and bring those responsible for the heinous act to justice.
The Sultan of Sokoto and co-Chairman of the National Council of Traditional Rulers, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar has called on the military to occupy Lake Chad region and Sambisa forest in their bid to subdue Boko Haram.
Sultan Abuabakar is not comfortable with the idea of allowing terrorists occupying those strategic places.
He spoke while leading his fellow traditional rulers from the Southwest and Northern parts of the country on a condolence visit to the Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum, following recent Boko Haram killings in the state.
The Sultan led Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Nnaemaka Alfred Ugochukwu, Oba Adekunle Adebayo, Ore of Otin, Emir of Hadeja, Dr. Adamu Abubakar Maje, Emir of Fika, Mohammed Abale Ibn Mohammed Idrissa, Amanyanabo of Opobo Kingdom, KING Dr. Dandasen Douglas Jaja on the visit.
The Sultan, who retired as Army General, recalled how his battalion occupied Lake Chad region for six months, saying: “I read about the comment the Governor made some few weeks ago, challenging the military to take the fight to Lake Chad to clear that place.
“Your Excellency, while I was a Lieutenant, I was at Lake Chad in Baga for six months, my battalion in Bama used to rotate with the battalion in Monguno and Maiduguri every six months. We occupied lake Chad, part of Nigeria for six months.
“I was a Lieutenant, I was the operation officer and I have my maps. In Lake Chad that time we had 36 islands under Nigeria, we occupied 16 of them, the biggest was king Nasara, we controlled that part of Nigeria effectively well as a battalion.
“Now I don’t know why we can’t occupy the whole of Lake Chad and why we can’t occupy the whole of Sambisa forest. If we want peace we have to dominate these areas. If we want peace, we have to do away with those terrorists who occupy that place and see nothing good in other people except those that believe in their own negative ideas.”
Some politicians loyal to a former Governor of Lagos State, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu have stormed Ibadan, the Oyo state capital to canvass for the candidature of the former governor ahead of 2023 Presidency.
Those who were part of the delegation are a former Minister, Senator Dayo Adeyeye, Senator Rilwan Adesoji Akanbi, Hon. Oyetunji Ojo, Hon. Bosun Oladele and Hon. Rotimi Makinde. The rest were; Hon. Kafilat Ogbara, Hon. Toba Oke, Hon. Deji Jakande, Hon. Gboyega Okegbemi and immediate past Secretary to Ondo State Government, Ifedayo Abegunde.
They visited the palace of the Olubadan of Ibadan land, Oba Saliu Akanmu Adetunji to seek for the Olubadan’s support for Tinubu’s emergence as President in 2023.
Adeyeye, who is the leader of the delegation noted that the group, christensen The South West Agenda (SWAGA ’23) is a group of rainbow coalition of like-minded politicians of South West extraction.
Adeyeye said: “The tour is not a political campaign but a sensitization drive.
“The agenda of the group is to call out all well-meaning South-Westerners to encourage, market and support the candidature of their Principal His Excellency Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu (the Jagaban Borgu) for the office of the President of Nigeria in 2023.
“Their goal is driven by desire for a common front to push the Yoruba Agenda for leadership of Nigeria.”
Makinde, who had earlier represented Ife Federal constituency in the House of Representatives while introducing the group to the Olubadan, said that Yoruba race and Nigerians in general stand to benefit much with Tinubu’s Presidency.
“We are here to pay homage to the Olubadan palace. What we are here for is Yoruba to succeed Buhari is 2023. We can’t do this without visitation to the palace.
“I have the privilege to tell you that we are representing the Yoruba race. We are more than this. We are clamouring for Yoruba race to succeed President Muhamadu Buhari in 2023. And Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu is the man we are clamouring for.”
The Olubadan, in his remarks, said that the palace is open for all Yoruba politicians who wish to contest elections to seek support of the monarch.
“I appreciate you all. I am proud of you. In Nigeria, if you don’t demand for your right, they many not give you. You will prosper with this group.
“Let me tell you that the doors of the palace are widely opened to all Yoruba politicians who wish to seek votes.”
A 49-year-old evangelist, Chinwe Ekwe, has responded to her husband who alleged that she wanted to kill him by asking: “What do I stand to gain if I kill the father of my seven children
Chinwe, who appeared at a Customary Court in Igando, Lagos State in response to a divorce suit filed by her husband, Pastor Paul Ekwe, who had accused her of planning to kill him.
“I care for him both physical and spiritual, but he still chose to be flirting around with different women.
“He even brought a married woman home as a wife and chased me out of our matrimonial home.”
Chinwe alleged that her husband was defaming her character by telling people that she was planning to kill him, asking: “what do I stand to gain if I kill the father of my seven children; he is lying against me just because he wanted to marry another woman which he had done.
“My husband is uncaring, I shouldered all his responsibilities but he spends money and buys foodstuffs for his concubines.”
Chinwe told the court that her husband got the police to arrest her and that she destroyed his church and stole his five million naira.
She begged the court not to grant her husband’s wish for the dissolution of their marriage, pointing out that she still loved him despite his adulterous acts.
However, Ekwe has approached the court to terminate the 28-year-old marriage, accusing the wife of planning to kill him.
“My wife is planning to kill me so that she can remarry,” he said.
The petitioner described his wife as stubborn and quarrelsome.
“Our marriage is full of fights and quarrels. Chinwe makes my home uncomfortable for me and my life unbearable.
“She refused to obey my orders but does things her own way,” he said.
He accused her of turning all their children against him, alleging that she gave one out in marriage without his knowledge.
He pleaded with the court to terminate their marriage that the love he once had for his wife had vanished.
The Court President, Adeniyi Koledoye, adjourned the case to January 19 for judgment.
Governor Aminu Bello Masari of Katsina State has told President Muhammadu Buhari that steady progress is being made to bring out unharmed, children that were kidnapped from Government Science Secondary School, Kankara.
“We are making progress and the outlook is positive,” the Governor said as he briefed the President in his Daura country home in Katsina, today, December 14.
The Governor, who was accompanied by the Deputy Governor of the state, Manir Yakubu, said the kidnappers had made contact and discussions were already on pertaining to safety and return to their homes.
Aminu Masari said that security agencies have located the position of the children, even as he acknowledged that the President is fully committed to the rescue of the school children.
Governor Abdullahi Sule of Nasarawa state, has handed over the instruments of office to his deputy, Dr. Emmanuel Akabe as he goes the United States of America for medical check-up.
In a letter to the State House of Assembly read by the Speaker, Hon. Ibrahim Balarabe Abdullahi, the Governor said that he would leave for medical checkup in the United States on December 13. He is expected back on December 19.
In the letter, the Governor said that until his return, his deputy will oversee the affairs of the State.
“Accordingly, in my absence, the deputy Governor would oversee the affairs of the state pending my return.”
“I wish to inform the Rt Hon speaker that I shall be traveling to the United States of America for medical check-up from Sunday, 13th to Saturday 29th Dec. 2020“.
We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. By clicking “Accept”, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies.
This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.