Home NEWS HEALTH Cholera Outbreak In Abuja: Authorities Provide Free Medication To Arrest The Rise

Cholera Outbreak In Abuja: Authorities Provide Free Medication To Arrest The Rise

The health authorities in the Federal Capital Territory Administration, Abuja, have announced free treatment to the victims of the cholera outbreaks that had so far claimed the lives of over 60 people in the nation’s capital city.

Acting Secretary, Health and Human Services Secretariat (HHSS) in the Administration, Dr. Mohammad Kawu, who made the announcement today, July 30 at a news briefing, said that the cases have greatly dropped as a result of concerted efforts by all the authorities concerned.

Dr. Kawu said that the free treatment is being carried out  at the FCTA health facilities and that adequate drugs and other medical consumables have been made available in those facilities.

“We have repositioned treatment, drugs, other consumables in all the health facilities in affected areas and all secondary healthcare facilities in the FCT so that anybody that has diarrhea is treated free.

“We have also provided water and sanitation in the affected areas by working with the FCT Water Board, FCT Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Agency (RUWASA) and the Abuja Environmental Protection Board (AEPB).”

Dr. Kawu described cholera as a disease that is closely associated with poor hygiene and appealed to residents to make extra efforts to ensure proper cleaning of their environment and cultivate good sanitary habits.

The Acting Secretary explained that there were 69 fatalities from over 1000 confirmed cases of the disease in the FCT while the other victims have been treated and discharged from health facilities.

He disclosed that Bwari Area Council has been identified as the epicenter of the outbreak in the FCT followed by the Abuja Municipal Area Council, stressing that measures have been put in place to prevent recurrence.

See also:  2024 Pilgrimage: Hajj Commission Commences Recruitment Of Medical Team

“It is gratifying to note that all the affected communities have been visited and we have told them what they need to do to prevent this cholera outbreak.

“It appears, and it is clear that they have understood what we told them and they have taken those decisions and they are doing those things and that’s why the cases have come down.”

Speaking on the spike of COVID -19 cases across the country, Dr. Kawu said that the FCT is prepared for a possible third wave, saying that the FCT had not dismantled any of the structures put in place to fight the virus.

The Acting Secretary said: “Our treatment centres are intact and we have piped oxygen. We have also repaired our oxygen plant in Asokoro.  Our health workers have been trained and they are on ground. So we are prepared.

“Most importantly, Dr Kawu added “we continue to advocate and advise the populace to continue with the non-pharmaceutical preventive measures that are in place, that is wearing of face mask, social and physical distancing, washing of hands regularly with water and soap and or hand sanitizers and avoiding crowded areas.”

Leave a Reply