Home NEWS N37 Billion Saga: Ex Minister, Sadiya Umar, Presents Self Before EFCC, Now

N37 Billion Saga: Ex Minister, Sadiya Umar, Presents Self Before EFCC, Now

Former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Mrs Sadiya Umar-Farouq, has just presented herself at the head quarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to honour the invitation by the anti-graft agency to offer clarifications in respect of the N37.1 billion alleged fraud in her ministry which the Commission is investigating.
The former minister, who had earlier indicated her readiness to honour the Commission’s invitation, was quoted as saying on arrival at the EFCC offices today , January 8 (a few minutes ago) that she had nothing to hide in regard to how she served the country under President Muhammadu Buhari.
“I remain proud to have served my country as a minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria with every sense of responsibility and will defend my action, stewardship and programme during my tenure whenever I am called upon to do so.”
Today’s visit to the EFCC office, located in Jabi district of Abuja, by the former minister, was believed to be by surprise to the officers of the Commission as they were taken unawares.
Recall that the EFCC had earlier said that Hajiya Sadiyya, being accused of N37.1 billion fraud, did not shun its invitation.
The EFCC spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, said that the former minister sent a letter that she couldn’t honour the invitation because she was indisposed [due to health challenges].
“It is true that she didn’t show up, but she sent a letter pleading for more time explaining that she had some health challenges.
“She didn’t shun EFCC invitation; she actually gave reasons why she couldn’t meet up
“Her lawyer was also at the commission to brief the anti-graft agency of why she couldn’t come or honour the invitation,” he told NAN.
Oyewale said the EFCC had considered her plea and expected that she would honour the invitation without further delay.
The EFCC spokesperson said there might not be any reason for her arrest as she had done the needful through her lawyer.
“The position of the commission is that she should turn herself in without further delay,” he added.
Oyewale said that the N37.1 billion being branded might not be a correct figure of the money misappropriated under the ministry.
He said: “On the figure that is being branded, I cannot categorically confirm the figure because it is an ongoing thing. We are still tracing all the transactions here and there; it may be more than that.
“We can’t publish a figure now until we finish the tracking, and it may be more than what is being brandished now.”
The EFCC spokesperson added that the National Coordinator and Chief Executive Officer of the National Social Investment Programme Agency (NSIPA), Halima Shehu, had been released.
Shehu, who was arrested and directed to be coming to the EFCC office for interrogation until the end of the investigation.
She was arrested in connection with the ongoing probe of the humanitarian affairs ministry.
“She was the National Coordinator in charge of the Conditional Cash Transfer Programme under the ministry during Buhari’s tenure, and she has been queried over some of the money that left the ministry’s coffers through her,” Oyewale said.

See also:  I Will Sabotage Anybody That Sabotages Me, Wike Warns FCT Directors, Civil Servants

It would also be recalled that the former minister had, through her media aide, Alexander Udeh, issued an initial response to the media report that insinuated her into business relationship with a contractor.
Read her: “My attention has been drawn to publications in some online media outlets trying to link my name with the activities of one Mr. James Okwete who is reportedly being investigated by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over alleged financial improprieties.
“Ordinarily I would have ignored such publications, which at best could be seen and regarded as speculative but doing so will give energy to the adventure of those who take delight in mudslinging, especially against those who are, or have been privileged to hold public offices.
“In this age of digital media when unverified materials are easily dumped and recalled from the cyber space, it would be inappropriate to ignore such a malicious linkage.
“I wish to state categorically that I neither know the said Mr. Okwete nor has ever had him represent me in any way whatsoever. Therefore, linking me with him in whatever guise is bogus and ill-intentioned.
“I remain proud to have served my country as Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria with every sense of responsibility and would defend my actions, stewardship and programmes during my tenure whenever I am called upon to do so.
“While I resist the urge to engage in any media banter whatsoever on this issue since my name was never expressly mentioned by the agency reportedly investigating Mr. Okwete, I am nonetheless prepared to seek redress legally and clear my name if there is any such defamatory reference to my person from any source.”
Meanwhile, sundry reports said that the agencies, which financial activities caught the interest of and scrutiny by the anti-graft agency had their budgets independently and exclusively administered by them as long as spending did not go above a certain threshold.
It was learnt that if proposed expenditures went above the threshold, the agencies would have to revert upstairs for ministerial approval.
But the agencies, as learnt, ensured that expenditures for contracts were below ministerial approval.
These, as gathered, are some of the areas the former minister would be expected to clarify or shed light on in her rescheduled interview with operatives of the EFCC to enable it (the Commission) track the “expended” funds being investigated.

Leave a Reply