Home Blog Page 175

Another Veteran Nollywood Actor, Amaechi Muonagor, Dies At 62

Another veteran Nollywood actor, Amaechi Muonagor is reportedly dead, days after he solicited for help to treat his kidney failure ailment. He died today, March 24, at the age of 62.
His death was announced by a social commentator, Morris Monye, via his X handle.
Muonagor was said to have suffered kidney failure and was on dialysis.
Monye wrote: “Deeply heartbroken by the news of Amaechi Muonagor’s passing.
“He was a talented Nollywood actor whose presence on our screens was truly masterful.
“We watched with concern as he battled health issues, offering whatever support we could to help him seek treatment in India.
“This tragic loss highlights the need for better healthcare in our country.”
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Muonagor, a native of Idemili, in Anambra, was born August 20, 1962.
He was an actor and producer. In 2016, he was nominated for AMVCA 2017 Best Actor in a comedy.
In 1989, after his youth service, Muonagor started working for the News Agency of Nigeria. He left his job a few years later for an acting role in his first movie as Akunatakasi in Taboo 1, a Nigerian movie.

We Rescued 137 Kidnapped Kaduna Schoolchildren In Zamfara – Military

The Defence Headquarters has confirmed the rescue of 137 out of the 287 kidnapped Kaduna State schoolchildren in Zamfara State.
A statement today, March 24 said that those rescued were made up of 76 females and 61 males.
The Defence Headquarter’s statement, issued by the Director of Defence Media Operations, Major General Edward Buba, said that the students were rescued in Zamfara State and will be transported and handed over to the Kaduna State Government.
“It would be recalled that on 7 March 2024, troops received information that terrorists had invaded LEA School Kuriga in Chikun LG of Kaduna State. During the incident an unconfirmed number of pupils were abducted.
“Following the incident, the military committed to leaving no stone unturned until all the hostages were rescued.
“Accordingly, in the early hours of 24 March 2024, the military working with local authorities and government agencies across the country, in a coordinated search and rescue operation rescued the hostages.
“The hostages are the same persons that were abducted from the school at Kuriga in Chikun LGA of Kaduna State.
“The rescued hostages totalling 137 comprise 76 females and 61 male.
“They were rescued in Zamfara State and would be conveyed and handed over to the Kaduna State Government for further action.
“Relatedly, it would be recalled that on 21 Mar 24, troops equally rescued 16 pupils (Almajiris) with a woman taken hostage in Gada LGA of Sokoto State.
“These hostages were handed over to the Sokoto State Government.
“These efforts demonstrate the armed forces resolve to finding other innocent hostages and track down the terrorists that perpetrated these crimes.
“These efforts would continue until other hostages are found and the terrorists arrested, tried, and brought to justice by Nigerian law.
“Troops are employing similar efforts to trackdown the culprits responsible for the killings of 18 soldiers in Okuama Community in Delta State.
“Justice awaits the culprits, as they cannot go unpunished.”

Roles Played By Tinubu, Ribadu, Army, Before 287 Kidnapped Kaduna Pupils Gained Freedom

The Governor of Kaduna State, Senator Uba Sani has attributed the release of 287 schoolchildren by terrorists who kidnapped them on March 7 to the intervention of President Bola Tinubu, National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu and the Nigerian Army.
The Governor, who made this known in the early hours of today, March 24, in a statement, specially thanked the President, the NSA and the Army, but would not give details of the roles they played for the pupils to have been let off the kidnappers’ hook.

The Governor was silence as to whether a ransom was paid to the kidnappers who had earlier demanded trillion of naira as ransom, or whether the pupils were rescued after exchange of fire between the soldiers and the terrorists.
The terrorists had on March 7, stormed LGEA Primary School, Kuriga, Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State and kidnapped scores of pupils and teachers at about 8:20 am immediately after the morning assembly.

Alleged Threat To Human Rights: Gov. Adeleke’s Media Aide Drags DSS, Oyetola To Court

The Spokesperson to Governor Ademola Adeleke of Osun State, Mallam Olawale Rasheed has approached the Federal High Court sitting in Osogbo seeking for the protection and enforcement of his fundamental human rights against the State Security Service (DSS), Director General of the State Security Service, the Osun State Director of the State Security and Femi Oyetola, son of the former Governor of Osun State, who is now the Minister of Blue Economy.
In a suit: FHC/OS/CS/89/2024, Olawale is praying the court to restrain the security operatives, either personally or through any of their agents or representatives, from inviting him, arresting him or threatening his rights to liberty, freedom of movement, freedom of expression and freedom of association in any manner on the malicious instigation of Femi Oyetola who is acting the script of some faceless and mischievous politicians who are collaborating to settle political scores against him (Olawale).
In the suit filed March on 22, Olawale fingered Femi Oyetola as being embittered with the loss of his father and their political gang at the last Osun Governorship election, and as the mouthpiece of the incumbent Governor of Osun State who upstaged Femi’s father, Oyetola, he is being maliciously hunted by members of the opposition APC, using Femi Oyetola, in active collaboration with security agents, to trample upon his fundamental rights.
Olawale deposed to the fact that he is not in anyway a threat to the internal peace and security of Nigeria or any part thereof, to warrant security agents to invite him, but the move by the collaborators is in a bid to play the cards of the opposition APC who are planning to have him illegally arrested and unlawfully detained so as to subdue him or hijack from him his fundamental rights to liberty, freedom of movement, expression and association which he is entitled to at all times since he has not committed any offense to warrant the curtailment of his fundamental rights.
He submitted in the court documents that by virtue of section 46 of the 1999 Constitution of Nigeria as altered, he needs not wait till his rights are trampled upon before approaching the court.
In Olawale’s opinion, Oyetola’s move is in connivance with the unsettled opposition APC who are troubled by the daily exposure of their bad governance, unpalatable and unprogressive deeds which they meted out to Osun people while the APC led by Oyetola was in power.
The plaintiff further pointed out that the media agents of the opposition APC have already bombarded the media with the news of his invitation/arrest by the DSS, and that they (APC) have started rejoicing that the Spokesperson to Governor Adeleke is already in the net or will be in the net of the security agents and they will ensure they pressurize the security agents not to release but punish him unjustly having not committed any offence.
This is an indication that the invitation is tainted with malice and witch haunt of the opposition APC with the sole goal of settling political scores with prominent aides and members of Governor Adeleke’s Team.
Olawale therefore entreated the court to grant his reliefs so as not allow the defendants to collaborate at trampling upon his rights or get at him unjustifiably.
He has also dispatched his team of legal practitioners to represent him at the DSS Headquarters which is within his rights as a citizen of Nigeria.

DHQ Issues Wanted Notice For Simon Ekpa and 96 Others

The Defence Headquarters has declared 97 persons wanted violent extremism and secessionist threats against the state.

Prominent among the wanted persons is the factional leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Simon Ekpa.

Major Gen Edwaed Buba, Director, Defence Media Operations, confirmed the names and pictures of the people declared wanted in Abuja yesterday, March 22.

The wanted persons, terrorists/bandits and insurgents commanders are from the North East, North West, North Central and South-East zones.

A breakdown of the wanted persons shows that 43 were declared wanted in North West Zone plagued by banditry, and kidnapping among others.

Some bandits/terrorists leaders include: Alhaji Shingi; Malindi Yakubu; Boka ; Dogo Gide; Halilu Sububu; Ado Aliero ; Bello Turji; Dan Bokkolo; Labi Yadi ; Nagala; Saidu Idris; Kachalla Rugga and Sani Gurgu.

In the North East plagued by Boko Haram and Islamic State for West Africa Province terrorists, 33 persons were declared wanted.

Among them are terrorists commanders, Abu Zaida; Modu Sulum; Baba Data; Ahmad; Sani Teacher; Baa Sadiq; Abdul Saad; Kaka Abi; Mohammad Khalifa; Umar Tella; Abu Mutahid; Mallam Mohammad; Mallam Tahiru Baga; Uzaiya and Ali Ngule.

In the North Central and South East 21 Insurgents/militants and violent criminals were declared wanted.

They include factional IPOB leader Simon Ekpa; Chika Edoziem; Egede; Zuma, ThankGod Gentle; Flavour ; Mathew; David Ndubuisi ; High Chief Williams Agbor; Ebuka Nwaka; Friday Ojimka.

Others in the South East include Obiemesi Chukwudi aka Dan Chuk ; David Ezekwem Chidiebube and Amobi Chinonso Okafor aka Temple .

Ex President Buhari Sympathizes With His Official Photographer Over Wife’s Death

Former President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed his deepest sympathy to the family of his former official photographer, Sunday Aghaeze whose wife, Marbel died and was buried on Friday.
> In a message to the Aghaezes at the funeral, the former President said that he was shocked by the news of the demise of the brilliant chartered accountant who was upwardly mobile in the public service, adding that the family had lost a pillar of support, a peaceful and loving mother.
He advised Aghaeze and the children to take solace in the good name and solid reputation that the deceased left behind, and to thank God for giving them Marvel for the period He allowed.

Just Tell Us Your Needs, We’ll Provide Them, Minister Wike Assures Military

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Ezenwo Nyesom Wike has assured the Nigerian armed forces of the support of the FCT Administration in the fight against insecurity in the Territory.
“Whatever you think FCT can do for you, don’t hesitate to tell us. I will do it for you because you need support to succeed.

“While we are sleeping in the night, you are moving about, just to protect us. “So, we need to give you the necessary support.”
Wike spoke when the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Christopher G. Musa visited him today, March 22.
The Minister sympathized with the CDS over the tragic death of some soldiers in Delta state, and pledged the support of the FCTA to help alleviate the sufferings of families of the deceased, describing the killing of the soldiers as barbaric and unfortunate.
“First of all, let me condole the families and the Nigerian military over what happened in Delta State. It was the most barbaric act I’ve ever seen.
“I don’t think any right-thinking person will ever support such a heinous crime. Not that the people died, but the way they were killed is quite unfortunate.
“We, as FCT, will support the Nigerian military in whichever way we can to see what we can do to reduce the pains of the families of these individuals.
“And you are doing your best. People must appreciate. It is not easy for somebody to bring out his life and say I want to die for the country.
“So, every Nigerian should give you people the support. Nigerians’ prayers are required. I know how many soldiers you’ve lost in terms of fighting Boko Haram, bandits and other kinds of crime. So, you require support in all ramifications.”
Wike stressed the importance of synergy among organs of government, adding that the FCTA will continue to work with all security agencies in the FCT to achieve the security component of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda in the territory.
The Minister said that the FCT Administration will set up a rapid response unit comprising a joint team from the various security agencies to respond to security challenges in the FCT.
He said that the rapid response team will also be equipped with advanced technology to improve their ability to fight crime in the nation’s capital.
“What we are trying to do is to build a centre, what we call FCT Rapid Response Team, which will be a joint team, including the military, the police, the DSS and the Civil Defence, where every form of technology will be provided.”
Earlier, the CDS had assured the minister of the support of the members of the armed forces, saying that the armed forces will continue to work with other security agencies in the FCT, especially the police, to protect lives and property.
He reminded all that the security agencies cannot do it alone but needed the support of the Administration and residents of the FCT.
“Ours is to provide standby force in case it overwhelms them, then we can move in and we want to have them ready. In doing that, we are building up a rapid response team that will involve ground troops and air, especially helicopters.
“We want to be able to have them on standby 24 hours.”

President Tinubu Admires Elumelu’s Streak Of Genius In Investments

Tony Elumelu

President Bola Tinubu has acknowledged Tony Onyemaechi Elumelu as Africa’s ingenious business leader.
Elumelu, who is the chairman of Heirs Holdings, Transcorp, United Bank for Africa, and founder of The Tony Elumelu Foundation, celebrates his birthday, today, March 22.
Celebrating birthday with Elumelu, whom he also described as “the foremost businessman and philanthropist,” the President, commended him for his industry and the uncommon spirit of excellence that governs the entirety of his enterprise.
President Tinubu emphasized the business leader’s streak of genius in driving investments, creating opportunities for Africa’s ebullient youths, and providing them with the support they need to soar.
The President expressed happiness for Elumelu for being named on Time’s list of 100 most influential people in the world in 2020.
He commended him for his steadfast trust and faith in the certainty of a greater Nigeria and for always projecting the best of our great nation.
President Tinubu wished Elumelu many more years in good health and strength as he persists in his endeavour of contributing substantially to national and continental development.

Sad! 23 Soldiers Killed In “Terrorist” Ambush In Niger, Week After 16 Soldiers Were Killed In Delta

Barely a week after 16 soldiers and top military officers were killed in Okuama in Delta State by civilian youths, 23 other soldiers have been reportedly killed in a “terrorist” ambush in western Niger during an offensive attack near the border with Burkina Faso and Mali.
It was learnt that 17 others were wounded in the fierce ambush.
In a statement today, March 22, the Defence Ministry said that the soldiers were engaged in a security sweep in Tillaberi, in the three borders area, on Wednesday and yesterday and were allegedly killed during a “complex ambush.”
The statement however that about 30 terrorists were killed in the battle field.
According to the Ministry, the army raids were “designed to reassure local people” who were being targeted by armed groups engaged in “murders, extortion and cattle rustling”.
The statement said that more than 100 “terrorists” have attacked an army unit between Teguey and Bankilare using “home-made bombs and suicide vehicles.”

Benue Checkmates Illegal Miners, Stops Mining Activities, To Determine Legitimate Ones

Benue Government has suspended all mining activities in the state to determine the legitimate ones through the compilation of miners’ data.
The State Governor, Hyacinth Alia, who gave the directive for the suspension of mining activities at a meeting with members of the Miners Association of Nigeria, Benue Chapter, in Makurdi also directed the Mineral Resources and Environment Management Committee (MIREMCO) to immediately begin documenting the data of all miners in the state.
He said that the decision to conduct the revalidation exercise was due to reports of security threats.
He frowned at the contamination of water sources for residents in the affected areas, especially in Kwande.
The governor enjoined security agencies and the joint task force on illegal mining to ensure that the right thing was done to enhance the well-being of the people and increase the Internally Generated Revenue.
“The state government will not tolerate any illegality. It is our administration’s prerogative to protect the lives and property of the people.”
The state Commissioner for Justice and Public Order, Fidelis Mnyim, said that Governor Alia is not against mining but wants to check illegal mining activities.
Mnyim, who is also the chairman of MIREMCO, said the state has come up with a checklist that would be used to scrutinise the mining sector in Benue.
In his remarks, Chairman of the Nigeria Miners Association in Benue, John Tersugh, promised to cooperate with the governor to sanitise the mining sector.
The mining officer in the Federal Ministry of Mining and Solid Minerals, Simon Ogwu, promised to support the state government to sanitise the mining sector in Benue.
Two miners, Benjamin Nyior and Dennis Tarhemba, called for a conducive working environment to enable them to carry out their activities effectively.
Some members of the association appealed to the governor to address the issue of multiple taxation within the industry and provide necessary mining equipment to assist them on the field to contribute to the revenue profile of the state. Source: NAN.

Advertisement ADVERTORIAL
WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com