Home Blog Page 267

Female Students Of University Of Calabar Protest Over Sexual Harassment By Lecturer


Female students of the Faculty of Law, University of Calabar, Cross River State have staged a protest against their Dean, Professor Cyril Ndifon over alleged sexual harassment.
A video on Twitter posted today, August 14, showed the students in front of a building in the school, carrying several placards bearing different inscriptions as they sang solidarity songs.
Some of the placards the students had with them read:
-Enough of Law School list manipulation
-Prof Ndifon must go for our sanity
-Law girls are not bonanzas.
-Prof. Ndifon should stop grabbing us.
-The Faculty of Law is not a brothel
-We are tired of sucking dicks, etc.
As at press time, the authorities of the school were yet to speak on the protest by the students who were in their usual white and black dress code.
Source: The Eagle Online

First Lady To Super Falcons: You Represented Nigeria Well At FIFA Women’s World Cup Tourney


Nigeria’s First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu has celebrated the Super Falcons of Nigeria who just returned from the World Cup competition after losing to England in the group of 16.
The First lady, who received some of the players, their technical team and officials of the NFF at the Presidential villa, Abuja, today, August 14, said that the girls displayed dedication, resilience, team spirit with the zeal and strength that defines Nigeria.
She paid glowing tribute to all the players who she said have represented Nigeria on the global stage, and that the world took notice of the dexterity of the players.
“Although the final result did not go our way, I am here to remind you that victory is not solely determined by the score on the field. The unbreakable spirit and unity that you demonstrated are true markers of success”.
“You have not only represented Nigeria on the global stage but have also become role models for our youth, especially young girls who now see their aspirations mirrored in you.
“I salute you today and welcome you back home and our goodwill and best wishes go to other players who have gone back to their base. You gave your all, and we stand with you. We are so proud of you.”
The President of the Nigerian Football Federation, Alhaji Ibrahim Musa Gusau thanked the First Lady for the warm reception and assured her that the players would continue to give good and qualitative representation to the country.
The captain of the team, Onome Ebi, said that the team worked very hard and tirelessly to bring home the coveted FIFA Women’s World Cup Trophy back home.
She promised that the team would continue to press on relentlessly to ensure they make the country very proud on the football field.
The First Lady received the players with the wife of the Vice President, Hajiya Nana Shettima and wife of the Senate President, Mrs Ekaette Akpabio

New State House Permanent Secretary, From Ekiti, Assumes Duty

The newly appointed Permanent Secretary, State House, Engr. Olusesan Adebiyi, officially assumed duty today, August 14.
Taking over the fountain of leadership from Tijjani Umar, who retired over the weekend after clocking mandatory 60 years, the new helmsman from Ekiti State, pledged his unwavering commitment to the success of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration.
Adebiyi, who previously held the position of Permanent Secretary in the Federal Ministry of Health, expressed gratitude to his predecessor, Tijjani Umar.
He acknowledged Umar’s dedicated service to the nation and congratulated him on his successful retirement on August 10, 2023.
”I sincerely pledge my commitment to my fatherland. I will put forth my best effort for the success of the administration.
“I pledge my faithfulness, hard work, honesty, and sincerity of purpose in ensuring that every assignment given to me is carried out to the letter.”
Adebiyi called on State House staff to work as a cohesive team, with renewed vigour and dedication to succeed.
This was even as the retiring Permanent Secretary, Umar said that it is an honour to have served two Presidents: Muhammadu Buhari and Bola Tinubu, during his three-year tenure as Permanent Secretary, State House, from April 5, 2020 to August 10, 2023.
”Driving round the State House today gives me great pleasure because I have seen how much we have impacted the community.
”When you look to the left, right and centre, there’s something somewhere that people will continue to use and benefit from that we initiated, completed and delivered.”
Umar hinted at a memoir, chronicling his career in public service, slated for publication soon.

Born in Kabba, Kogi State, Olusesan Olufunso Adebiyi hails from Ekiti State.

Content Development Staff Trained On War Against Corruption

Staff and Management of the Nigerian Content Development and Management Board (NCDMB) have been trained over the weekend, by the Anti-Corruption and Transparency Unit (ACTU), on “Achieving Zero-tolerance for Corruption in the Workplace.” It was held at NCDMB Conference Hall, Yenagoa.

As Ray Ekpu Of Famous Newswatch Turns 75, Tinubu Hails His Purposeful Life

Ray Ekpu

One of the founders of the famous Newswatch magazine, Ray Ekpu, clocked 75 years yesterday, with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu commending him for what he called “purposeful life.”
In a birthday message through his Special Adviser on media and publicity, Ajuri Ngelale, the President described Ray Ekpu as a veteran journalist and esteemed columnist.
He acknowledged that Ekpu’s life has been synonymous with the pursuit of freedom, democracy and the establishment of good governance in Nigeria.
“I join friends, family, and admirers of the veteran journalist and respected columnist, Mr. Ray Ekpu, in celebrating his purposeful life as he reaches the milestone of 75 years.
“With a career spanning over 50 years in the Nigerian media landscape, Mr. Ekpu has consistently displayed unwavering commitment to progressive ideals.” President Tinubu highlighted Ekpu’s impactful contributions, saying: “through his pen, he has served society with candid, analytical and captivating commentary, distinguished by his eloquent prose.
“On the occasion of his 75th birthday, I convey my heartfelt congratulations to this journalism stalwart on behalf of the Government and people of Nigeria.”

I Haven’t Received “The Token” Announced By Senate President, Senator Ningi Complains

A Bauchi Central Senator, Abdul Ningi, has complained that he is yet to receive the recess allowance which the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio announced has been sent to Senators ahead of the holiday break.
Senator Ningi, who appeared on Channels Television’s Politics Today, said: “I’m yet to receive any funds in my account. While I’ve heard that some individuals received a N2 million allowance, I personally haven’t seen any such deposit.
“Hopefully, things will be sorted out soon.”
The Senator questioned the transparency of the process, suggesting that the announcement should have been handled more discreetly. “In situations like these, it’s essential to exercise prudence and tact. “Broadcasting such matters in the manner that Akpabio did can be perceived as a significant blunder, both for the Senate President and the National Assembly as an institution.
“Akpabio could have taken the opportunity to clarify the purpose and origin of these allowances.
“Questions arise, such as the basis of allowance allocation, the source of these funds, and whether they are separate from regular remuneration.” Regarding the adequacy of the N2 million allowance for the holiday, Ningi expressed skepticism, saying: “I’m struggling to comprehend how N2 million would significantly enhance one’s holiday experience. “The intended purpose of this money remains unclear to me.”
The Senate President had informed his colleagues about the disbursement of a token sum to facilitate an enjoyable holiday period.

El-Rufai Son, Bello, Marries Second Wife In Abuja

A member of the Federal House of Representatives, Bello, who is the eldest son of the immediate past Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, has taken a second wife, Aisha Habibu Shuaibu.
The marriage took place yesterday in Abuja at the time El-Rufai was out of the country after he pulled out of the ministerial race.
Bello, who is the Chairman of House of Representatives Committee on Banking Regulations, had a private Nikah with the daughter of a former Military Administrator of Plateau and Niger states, retired Colonel Habibu Shuaibu.
Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna, whom Bello served as legislative aide when the governor was a senator, stood in as the father of the day.
In Hausa tradition, the Wakili (representative) of the groom’s father receives the bride at a wedding, while the waliyyi, representative of the bride’s family at a wedding, gives out the bride.
Recall that the senate had last week confirmed 45 out of the 48 ministerial nominees of President Bola Tinubu, but El-Rufai and two other nominees – Stella Okotete (Delta) and Danladi Abubakar (Taraba) – were not confirmed.
The as senators had said that they were awaiting security clearance.
The former governor met with President Bola Tinubu at the presidential villa in Abuja on Tuesday, after which he flew abroad, with sources saying that he was off to Europe, but would be in Egypt first.
Source: Daily Trust

Don’t Be Tools In The Hands Of Mischief Makers, Kaduna Gov, Sani, Advises Journalists

The Governor of Kaduna State, Senator Uba Sani has called on media houses, social media users and macro-blogging sites to desist from being used by mischief makers to cause unnecessary tension in the country.
Speaking to newsmen on his recent meeting with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and his alleged rejection of a certain individual proposed by his predecessor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai to replace him as a ministerial nominee, Governor Sani said: “the only thing that is true in the story is that I met with the President. “Every other thing is false and a conjecture to create friction between me and Malam Nasir El-Rufai. At no time did we discuss the issue of replacement.”
Governor Sani urged media outlets to be cautious and avoid becoming tools for mischief-makers who specialize in spreading falsehoods and divisive narratives.
He however commended some media houses and bloggers that have consistently ensured due diligence in reporting factual stories,  but reminded members of the press of their duty as the fourth estate of the realm.
“In these days of clickbaits and fake news, it is imperative for traditional and new media platforms to maintain their integrity by sharing balanced and verified stories that will be useful in moving the nation forward.”

Punch Story On Panel To Reconstitute Boards Of Federal Parastatals Is Fake – OSGF

Sen. George Akume

The Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (OSGF), has said that the publication in the Sunday Punch on Page 6 which reads: ‘FG sets up Panel to Reconstitute Boards of Parastatals’ is fake news.

“The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator George Akume wishes to state clearly that there is no truth in the story as published in the Sunday Punch neither has government set up any ad-hoc committee as alleged to review the resumes of individuals who would fill such board appointments as stated in the said publication.”
A statement today, August 13, by the Director, Information in the SGF office, Willie Bassey, said that the visit of the two former Governors of Kebbi State, Atiku Bagudu and Jigawa State, Abubakar Badaru, to the SGF office on Friday, had nothing to do with such adhoc committee.
“It has everything to do with their recent appointment as  ministers.
“Also, the reporter inaccurately quoted the Spokesperson of the OSGF as indicating that 14 agencies were stipulated to have been exempted. Whereas, the release in question at the time only recieved the President’s approval for two agencies- National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) and the National Agency for Food, Drug Administration & Control (NAFDAC).”
OSGF advised that order to avoid inaccurate reporting, media personnel should always cross-check information directly from authorized persons in his office rather than depending on some social media reports which may be inaccurate.

Niger Military Leader Apologizes To Nigeria For Shunning Peace Team, Says “We’re Angry With ECOWAS”


The leader of the new military junta in Niger Republic, General Abdourahmane Tchiani has apologized to Nigeria for not according attention to the General Abdulsalami Abubakar peace team which was sent to Niamey by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu over the coup that had generated controversies across the West African subregion and beyond.
The new Niger Republic strong man, who spoke when some Nigerian Islamic Ulammas, led by Sheik Bala Lau, met with him for several hours in Niger’s capital Niamey, said that he shunned the
team sent, led by former Head of State, General Abdulsalami Abubakar “because we were angry about the ECOWAS ultimatum.”
General Tchiani said that it was painful to the coup leaders that the ECOWAS leaders did not hear their side of the matter before issuing ultimatum to them to quit office.
He claimed that the coup was well intended, saying that they struck to stave off an imminent threat that would have affected not only Niger Republic but also Nigeria.
General Tchiani who accorded the team warm reception, however, welcomed their intervention, adding that the doors were open to explore diplomacy and peace in resolving the matter.
The General traced the historical ties between Nigeria and Niger, saying that Niger Republic and Nigeria are not only neighbours but brothers and sisters who should resolve issues amicably.
The peace team, which comprised prominent Islamic scholars Nigeria, convinced the leader of the military junta to agree to intensify the option of dialogue in resolving the political crisis in that country.
Sheikh Bala Lau, who is the National Chairman of Jamatul Izalatu Bida Waikamatu Sunnah, said the that clerics were in Niger on behalf of President Bola Tinubu who accepted their request to intervene.
Sheik Lau said that the team had earlier told President Tinubu, who is also the Chairman of Authority of ECOWAS Heads of State and Government that their position is that the political impasse in Niger be resolved through dialogue.
He told General Tchiani that the visit to Niger was to engage in constructive dialogue to encourage him and other military leaders behind the coup to toe the path of peace instead of war to resolve the crisis.
Speaking to newsmen after the meeting, another member of the intervention team and Chief Missioner of Ansarudeen Society of Nigeria, Sheik Ahmad Abdulrahman, said that contrary to reports in some sections of the media, the team was well received by General Tchiani and both parties had fruitful discussions.
“We will now go back home and report to President Tinubu what we have discussed and press it on him that war is not an option in resolving the matter.
“We believe that war is an ill wind that will not blow any good and that peaceful resolution should prevail.”
The team comprised scholars from various Islamic sects in the country.
Among them were Sheik Kabiru Gombe-Secretary,
Jamatul izalatul bida waikamatul sunnah,
Sheik Yakubu Musa Hassan Katsina-Director Daawah, JIBWIS, Sheik Ibrahim Dahiru Bauchi- Rep Sheik Ibrahim Bauchi and Dr Khalid Aliya- Secretary General, Jammatul Nasril Islam.
Others included Sheik Karibullah Nasiru Kabara- Leader Khadriya group Nigeria, Sheik Ahmad Abdurahman, Professor Salisu Sheri- Deputy Secretary-General Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs, Sheik Nasiru Abdul Muhayuid- Director Admin, JIBWIS Jos, Professor Mansur Sokoto, and Alhaji
Mele Kyari.

Advertisement ADVERTORIAL
WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com