Home Blog Page 328

I’m Not Sure If I Will Probe Ortom, But Things Are In Very Bad Shape – Gov Elect

Governor-elect for Benue State on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Rev. Fr. Hyacinth Alia, has said that he’s not sure whether he will probe his predecessor, Governor Samuel Ortom on the awful way he runs the State government.
Answering reporters’ questions today, April 5, shortly after a private audience with President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential villa, Abuja, the Governor elect said that he will be inheriting a badly managed state when he formally assume office on May 29, 2023.
According to him, the state’s civil service is in a state of near collapse and in “Intensive Care Unit” (ICU).
“I have come to infuse life into it and keep it moving.”
He said that he had not looked at the books of the Ortom government to know the extent of the damage to the State, saying: “so I wouldn’t want to be quite pre-emptive. Once I’m sworn in, I know that what the good people of Benue want is progress and development.
“There is so much that we need to put on track for things to work. Benue state is an agrarian zone and so we must focus on agriculture and upgrade it.
“Benue is very capable of feeding the whole nation; so we are not just the food basket of the nation by name and I am hoping that we will up our game in agriculture and take care of the rest as well.
“It is sad that the civil service in the state is near collapse, it is in the ICU. I just need to get in there and infuse life in it and keep it moving.
“We have a lot of backlog of unpaid salaries, pensions and gratuities. Already I got much on the desk to keep a good focus on and I remain hopeful that I am going to do just that.”
The Governor elect had earlier written a letter to the Benue Investment Property Company, warning the officials against colluding with the incumbent governor on some financial transactions.

Ex US President, Trump, Appears In Court On Criminal Charges

Former United States President, Donald Trump, pleaded not guilty to 34 felony criminal charges of falsifying business records in Manhattan criminal court today, April 4.

The indictment against Trump alleges that the former President sought to undermine the integrity of the 2016 election.

Prosecutors alleged Trump was part of an unlawful plan to suppress negative information, including an illegal payment of $130,000 that was ordered by the defendant to suppress the negative information that would hurt his campaign.

The reason Trump committed the crime of falsifying business records was in part to “promote his candidacy,” the indictment alleges.

The former President’s voice was measured in the courtroom as he walked in slowly scanning the reporters in the courtroom and looking at the judge when he was speaking.

Trump had arrived at the Manhattan district attorney’s office earlier Tuesday afternoon, where he was placed under arrest and in police custody before the arraignment.

The arraignment in the Manhattan courtroom on Tuesday represented a surreal and historic moment in US history.

We’ve No Mandate To, And Don’t Track Phones, NCC Clarifies

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has made it clear that it has no constitutional and legal mandate and has not been involved in phone tracking and leakages.
In a statement today, April 4, the Commission’s spokesman, Reuben Muoka said that the Commission has practically nothing to do with the allegations flying around.
“By the provisions of the Nigerian Communication Act (NCA) 2003 and other extant Laws of the Federation, the Commission does not and cannot “track” nor “leak” telephone conversations of anyone.
“The Commission has reported the allegations, which we take seriously, to relevant security agencies for proper investigation and necessary action.
“The Commission restates its commitment to discharge its responsibilities to the Nigerian people in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; the NCA 2003; and other extant Laws of the Federation; and global best practices.
“For the avoidance of doubt, the Commission denies these allegations and advises the public to disregard them.”

I Have Never Sponsored Or Preached Action Against Nigerian State, Obi Protests

The Presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP) in the February 25 election, Peter Obi has protested against being tagged treason promoter.
Obi, in reaction to the minister of information and culture, Lai Mohammed who accused him of having committed treason against Nigerian State, in a statement today, April 4, said: “I have never discussed or encouraged anyone to undermine the Nigerian state; I have never sponsored or preached any action against the Nigerian state.”
Obi frowned at the series of what he termed “calumnous campaigns mounted against him by the Minister who is in the United States meeting with the Western media.
He complained that in the past few days, he observed various campaigns of calumny directed at his person, with the latest being allegations attributed to the Information Minister, Lai Mohammed from Washington DC.
“It is most unfortunate that these consistent efforts to portray me quite contrary to what I am, and my core values, is coming from such high quarters.
“Minister Lai accusing me of stoking insurrection is totally malicious and fictitious.
“Those initiating these actions have increasingly used their official positions and agents to make false allegations against me.
“I am on record as always advocating for peace and issue-based campaign and never campaigned based on ethnicity or religion. I am committed to due process, and presently seeking redress in the Court.
“I urge those engaged in this demarketing process to stop presenting Nigeria in such bad light.
“Our future generations deserve a new Nigeria, where they can live a secure and decent life like their counterparts in other climes. It is possible. -PO”

Obi, Datti Have Committed Treason, Verdict By Information Minister

The Nigeria’s Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has come up with verdict: the Presidential Candidate of the Labour Party, Peter Obi and his running mate in the February 25 election, Yusuf Datti-Ahmed have committed treason.
“Obi and his Vice, Datti Ahmed cannot be threatening Nigerians that if the President-elect, Bola Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress (APC) is sworn in on May 29, it will be the end of democracy in Nigeria.
“This is treason. You cannot be inviting insurrection, and this is what they are doing. Obi’s statement is that of a desperate person. He is not a democrat that he claimed to be.
“A democrat should not believe in democracy only when he wins election.”
The minister spoke in Washington DC, America during respective interactions with some international media organizations.
According to the minister, it was wrong for Obi in one breath to seek redress in court over the outcome of the polls and in another breat, incite people to violence.
Speaking in defence of the 2023 elections which had been rejected by five presidential candidates as flawed, the minister said in spite of challenging the election results in court, he speculated that there was “no pathway to victory” for either Obi or Atiku Abubakar, the Presidential candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).
The minister said that both Obi and Atiku failed to meet the constitutional requirements to be declared as president.
“The constitution has stringent criteria for anybody who wants to be president of the country.
“Not only must he have the plurality of vote cast in an election, but he must also have scored one-quarter of votes cast in at least 25 states.
“Only the President-elect met the criteria by scoring 8.79 million votes and having one-quarter of all the vote cast in 29 states of the federation.”
He recalled that Atiku, who came second with 6.9 million votes was only able to make one-quarter of the votes cast in 21 states while Obi came third with 5.8 million votes but won only one-quarter of the votes cast in 15 states.
“You cannot win an election in a poll where you came to a distant third position and failed to meet constitutional requirements.
“Peter Obi, while complaining of fraud, has not disowned his victory in Lagos.”
On why he flew to the U.S., Lai Mohammed said that he needed to correct what he called “the negative narratives being promoted by naysayers and opposition on the election.”
The minister accused opposition parties of alleging fraud and calling for the cancellation of the elections and the constitution of an interim government following their defeat at the polls.
“We have come here to balance that skewed narratives and to tell the world unambiguously that the just concluded general election in Nigeria is the fairest, most transparent, and authentic in the history of Nigeria.
“The election is the fairest and most credible because of the introduction of the Bimodal Voters Verification System (BVAS) which I regard as a game changer.
“BVAS, during the polls, worked 97 percent giving unparalleled credibility to the elections.”
Source: Persecondnews.

Ogboni Leader, Olakisan, Dies In Accident While Searching For His Kidnapped Wives

Oba Ogboni Agbaye, leader of Ogboni worldwide, Oba Abdullah Adetoyese Olakisan has died alongside two others in a road accident yesterday, April 3, along the Ila/Edemonsi/Imesi-Ile Road while on a mission to rescue his two wives and others from kidnappers.
The kidnappers were said to have attacked his residence in the early hours of yesterday and took away two of his wives.
It was gathered that Oba Olakisan, the officer-in-charge of Imesi-Ile police post and a female occupant were traveling in the vehicle searching for the kidnapped victims when the accident occurred.
Acting on the information given by one of the suspects, the traditionalist, the police officer and the woman, went after the kidnappers towards Ila but were involved in the accident while returning to Imesi-Ile.
The Osun State Police Command Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Yemisi Opalola, confirmed the incident.
She said that the Command had commenced a search and rescue operation to free the victims.
“The Ogboni leader, the Police OC Imesi-Ile and a woman were inside his (Olakisan’s) car coming back to Imesi after reaching Ila, searching for his wives that were abducted, when they had an accident.
“The vehicle ran into a tree. It was a lone accident. They were rushed to a hospital, but eventually they all died. Our men are inside the bush to continue the search and rescue mission.”
The Command had, on Sunday, announced that it rescued a female victim of a kidnapped incident which occurred along the Osogbo-Ikirun Road on Friday.
Source: Dailypost

Naira Scarcity: Nigerians No Longer Interested In Depositing Their Money In Banks

Nigeria banking sector may be facing collapse as many citizens, who are still struggling to withdraw money from the system, have vowed not to deposit cash in banks again.
Experts fear that such attitude, which stemmed from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN’s) Cashless Policy that caused Nigerians untold nightmares and hardship, could lead to the collapse of the bank sector.
Speaking on the situation, a resident of Abuja, Adaeze Okolie, said, “I no longer feel the need to deposit my money with the Bank; I rather keep it. The Naira scarcity period did expose the inefficiency of Nigeria’s banking system. It was appalling, I could not withdraw for months, and online transactions were equally frustrating. Many Nigerians have learnt their lessons”.
Also, Usman Abdullahi, a yam seller in Suleiman Market, said: “He would rather keep his money rather than go to the bank to deposit cash or better look for other means”.
A PoS operator in Utako Market in Abuja, Augustine Chukwu, said: “I collect cash from market men and women; I rarely visit the banking hall.”
Head of Media Relations at Access Bank PLC, Abdul Imoye, confirmed the decline in cash deposits by customers and said the apprehension held by Nigerians for not depositing cash would soon be a thing of the past.
According to him, what is happening now is typical of the Nigerian mentality, but business would bounce back in time.
“It is due to the ‘Nigerian mentality’; customers had struggled with cash scarcity for months, so people are normally apprehensive. But now there is cash in the banking system; I am sure things will return to normal”, he said.
Also, The CEO of SD & D Capital Management, Mr Idakolo Gbolade, said bank customers’ behaviour towards cash deposits is a natural resentment.
“The bank customers will naturally shun depositing their funds, and deposit is expected to decline due to the experience of depositors in the past few months.
“Bank customers went through hell to make withdrawals from their deposits, so it is natural for resentment regarding depositing their funds back to the banks.
“This trend will continue for months before depositors adjust accordingly.
“The economy will gradually bounce back with cash infusion into the system,” he stated.
Last Month, Nigerian Deposits Insurance Corporation (NDIC), with the primary responsibility to protect Depositors, said that it is committed to ensuring a solid banking system in collaboration with the CBN.
Source: Daily Post.

Ex American President, Trump, Faces Criminal Charges In Court

Former American President, Donald Trump will appear before a Manhattan court house today, April 4 to face criminal charges over an alleged hush money payment to porn star Stormy Daniels.

Trump is expected to be fingerprinted, learn the exact charges against him and plead not guilty.

The indictment includes multiple charges of falsifying business records, including at least one felony offence, according to two people familiar with the matter.

The investigation has looked into six-figure payments made to porn star Stormy Daniels and former Playboy model Karen McDougal.

Both say they had sexual encounters with Trump years before he entered politics.

Trump denies having sexual encounters with either woman and has denied any wrongdoing involving payments.

Trump is expected to arrive at court at around 6.30am New York time (11.30am in the UK).

He is expected to have his mugshot and fingerprints taken at court, but will not be wearing handcuffs.

He is then expected to appear before a judge for his arraignment at around 2.15pm local time (7.15pm in the UK).

The former president and his allies have been on the attack since he was charged on Thursday, labelling the indictment a “politically-motivated witch hunt”.

In a statement last week, Trump said: “This is political persecution and election interference at the highest level in history.

“The Democrats have lied, cheated and stolen in their obsession with trying to ‘get Trump’, but now they’ve done the unthinkable – indicting a completely innocent person in an act of blatant election interference.”

Trump arrived in New York yesterday ahead of his scheduled court hearing later today.

He left his home in Mar-a-Lago shortly after midday on Monday for the journey to the airport.

While flying over, he posted on his social media platform Truth Social: “WITCH HUNT, as our once great Country is going to HELL!”

He added a few minutes later: “AMERICA FIRST!”

The former US president is staying at Trump Tower in Manhattan before turning himself in to authorities.

FCT Administration Begins Payment Of Hazard Allowance To Health Workers

The Health workers in the services of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) have begun to receive the reviewed Health Workers Hazard Allowance in line with the Circular from the National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission (NSIWC).

The Secretary, FCT Health and Human Services Secretariat, Dr. Abubakar Tafida made this known today, April 4, in his office in Abuja.

The Secretary said that One Thousand Three Hundred and Seventy Seven (1,377) health workers have so far received the reviewed hazard allowance from March 2023.

Tafida said that the FCT Administration has constantly aligned its priority to the welfare of staff; particularly the well-being of the Health Workers in the Territory; adding that the new allowance is expected to boost the quality of Health Care Services in the FCT.

He said that the implementation was in line with the review of the Hazard Allowance applicable to Specialist Hospitals, Federal Medical Centres as well as Clinics under the supervision of the Ministries, Departments, and Agencies.

“Payment of the reviewed Hazard Allowance will encourage Health Workers to among others; maintain a high standard of health care services to residents of the Federal Capital Territory in line with the aspiration of the leadership of this Administration.”

Tafida said that the Hazard Allowance would also serve as a palliative intervention for Health workers, who in the course of performing their duties are exposed to workplace, physical and psychological hazards.

He added that the Administration under the leadership of the Minister of FCT, Mallam Muhammad Musa Bello, has helped in forestalling possible industrial crisis, thereby, boosting the quality of healthcare service delivery in the Territory.

Abdullahi Maiwada Appointed New Customs Spokesperson

The Comptroller-General of Customs Colonel, retired Hameed Ibrahim Ali has approved the appointment of CSC Abdullahi Aliyu Maiwada as the Public Relations Officer of the Nigeria Customs Service. He will take over from Comptroller Timi Bomodi, who has since been redeployed to Kiri-Kiri Lighter Terminal (KLT) Area Command as the Customs Area Controller.
CSC Abdullahi Aliyu Maiwada holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in Education/Geography and a Master’s Degree in Environmental Management from Bayero University Kano. He also holds a Bachelor’s Degree and Master’s Degree in Mass-Communication from Crescent University Abeokuta.
Maiwada was enlisted into Nigeria Customs Service as Cadet ASC in 2011. He had a stint as the Zonal Public Relations Officer Zone ‘B’ Headquarters Kaduna, Public Relations Officer Ogun Command (now Ogun I & II Area Commands).
In 2020, he was deployed to Headquarters and served as the pioneer Liaison Officer of the Nigeria Customs Broadcasting Network and later deputized for the out-gone National Public Relations Officer from January 2022 to February 2023.
CSC Abdullahi Maiwada is an Associate Member of the National Institute of Public Relations (NIPR) and holds full membership in the Association of Communication Scholars and Professionals of Nigeria (ACSPN).
He attended numerous courses relating to Customs Operations, Trade Facilitation, Public Relations, Strategic Communication, and Leadership.
He is a recipient of the 2020 World Customs Organisation (WCO) meritorious award.

Advertisement ADVERTORIAL
WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com