Home Blog Page 691

We’re Determined To Implement National Livestock Transformation Plan – Osinbajo

Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo

Nigeria’s Vice President, Professor  Yemi Osinbajo, has made it clear that federal and state governments are determined to implement the National Livestock Transformation Plan (NLTP) to address the perennial crisis between farmers and herders in the country.

He said that the implementation of the plan is consensus of governors under the auspices of the National Economic Council (NEC).
Professor Osinbajo, spoke today, March 6, at the opening session of an International Conference on Patriotism, Security, Governance and National Development. The event was organized by the Global Patriot Newspaper in collaboration with the Nigerian Consulate in New York and Nigeria in Diaspora Organisation, (NIDO) New Jersey Chapter.
He explained that the NLTP is a comprehensive strategy for addressing farmer/herder conflict essentially by encouraging interested states to establish cattle ranches.
“The crucial point here is that no community or State is compelled in any shape or form to give land for ranching. Ranching is essentially a business. NLTP is not a land grab in any way. Every state is completely responsible for its land. The Federal Government cannot go to any state and take any land.
“Already 22 States have indicated interest and pilots, with the support of the Netherlands government, are ongoing in 4 states of Adamawa, Nasarawa, Plateau and Gombe.  If we are able to execute the NLPT, we will be able to see an end to the farmer-herder conflict because the goal is to make livestock breeders more sedentary and derive more financial benefits.”

The Vice President insisted that the task of building Nigeria requires the contribution of all Nigerians as the challenge for everyone is “to build, not to destroy, to add to, not to take away.

“the task of nation-building is exerting and may even appear messy as the process continues, especially in a multi-ethnic and multi-religious nation like Nigeria. It challenges all values, patience and tolerance of citizens. It  may even be costly. It is a challenge thrown to everyone, to build, not to destroy, to add to, not to take away.”
He also restated his advocacy for the decentralization of the Police Force, saying: “we must accept that there is a need for greater decentralization of the police force. I have been a frequent advocate of state policing and I believe this certainly must be the way we must go.

“The National Assembly is in a position to consider some of the proposals that have gone to them for the purposes of devolving more powers to the states for security purposes and for addressing the security challenges.”

Presidential Special Alert: Buhari Is Doing Well After Taking Coronavirus Vaccine

The Presidency has alerted Nigerians that Presidency Muhammadu Buhari is doing well after taking coronavirus vaccine today, March 6.

The Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, who also took the vaccine, according to a statement by the senior special assistant to the President on media and publicity, Malam Garba Shehu, is also doing fine.

Garba Shehu said in a statement today, March 6, that the clarification is in response to press enquiries inundating his office about the President’s health after the vaccine.

“I like to assure all citizens, and to dispel fears and misconceptions about the safety of the vaccine administered on President Muhammadu Buhari and the Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, SAN earlier this morning.

“After he got his jab, the President felt normal and went about doing his job. If there are side effects that follow, we will be open about that but so far there is nothing of a side effect, serious or mild on the President. He is carrying on as normal.

“We hope this will help to send a strong message among the people, especially those grappling with hesitancy about the efficacy and safety of the vaccine.”

Buhari Takes Coronavirus Vaccination Along With Osinbajo

President Muhammadu Buhari has formally vaccinated today, March 6, against Coronavirus, along with Vice President Yemi Osinbajo.
The President and Vice-President took the vaccination shortly after their e-registration. They also filled out their vaccination cards through the Executive Director of the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA), Faisal Shuaib.
Vaccination of Buhari was done by Chief Personal Physician to the President, Dr. Suhayb Rafindadi Sanusi after which he was presented with the e-vaccination card by Dr. Shuaib at 11:59am.
Osinbajo was vaccinated by his personal physician, Dr. Nicholas Audifferen and was also presented with the e-vaccination card by Dr. Shuaib by 11:59am
The Minister of Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire, said the jab is  painless,  a narrow gauge syringe was used with small quantity injected in the upper arm. He said the after effects are mild and little discomfort follows in the area that was injected.
At the brief ceremony were the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) Mr Boss Mustapha; Minister of Health Dr Osagie Ehanire; Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed; and the Chief of Staff to the President, Professor Ibrahim Gambari.

Nigeria Still Needs Obasanjo’s Wisdom, Statesmanship, Buhari Admits

Chief Olusegun Obasanjo

President Muhammadu Buhari has admitted that Nigeria still needs the wisdom and statesmanship of the former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, as he marks his 84th birthday.

In a congratulatory message today, March 6, by Malam Garba Shehu, a presidential spokesman, Buhari said that the nation will continue to look up to the former President for wisdom and statesmanship.

“On behalf of the Government of Nigeria, President Buhari wishes a former President, who has served the country with loyalty and huge dedication, continued good health and happiness.”

President Buhari prayed to God to sustain Obasanjo “with greater wisdom and strength to continue his good works for the country.”

Obaseki, Oshiomhole Reconcile, Say “We Are Brothers”

The Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki and his predecessor, Adams Oshiomhole have reconciled their differences saying that they are brothers with common interest to develop the State.

Obaseki on his own, said that he has no personal grudges against  Oshiomhole, but that he only dislikes his style of politics, even as Oshiomhole described describing Obaseki as ‘his brother and friend.’

The two political leaders on diferrent political platforms, met today in Auchi, Etsako-West Local Government Area of the state, at the Centenary Birthday Thanksgiving of Thomas Oleghe and 18th Canonical Erection Anniversary of the Diocese of Auchi.

At the meeting Obaseki and Oshiomhole exchanged greetings with an elbow-bump in compliance with coronavirus preventive protocols.

Governor Obaseki emphasized that Oshiomhole, who is the immediate national chairman of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and him are both sons of Edo with the interest of the state at heart.

“I don’t have anything personal against Oshiomhole. I may not like his politics, but he has not done anything personal against me. We all are interacting with the interest of the country and the development of our community at heart.”

Oshiomhole, who was a guest at the event, commended Governor Obaseki, saying: “once the governor speaks, the matter ends.”

NNPC Partners Sokoto University To Develop Energy Conversion, Storage

The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has gone into partnership with the Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto, to develop energy inter-conversion and storage as a catalyst for Nigeria’s economic development and transformation.
Group Managing Director of the NNPC, Mallam Mele Kyari, and the Vice Chancellor of the University, Professor Lawal Suleiman Bilbis, made the commitment during a visit by members of the University Council, led by the University’s Pro-Chancellor, retired Justice Pearl Enejere.
Mallam Kyari challenged the delegation to always champion the development and transformation of their local communities through research and innovation.
“It is high time universities connected to the world. It is also high time researches left the drawing board and came to work for the communities. Let us see how some of your abilities can be put to use for the common good of us all.”
The GMD said that the Corporation is ready to collaborate with the university in the area of energy transition and renewable energy, which are key features of the Corporation’s new business focus.
On his part, the Vice Chancellor, Professor Lawal Bilbis, called on both parties to serve as catalyst for development so as to provide lasting solutions to nation’s energy problems.
He commended the GMD on his stewardship so far, especially in the area of transparency and accountability which he said, have engendered a positive transformation in the Corporation and the Nigerian oil and gas industry at large.
“NNPC is being transformed, we are seeing the NNPC of our dream. I believe if other sectors of the economy are doing like NNPC, Nigeria would work for all of us.”

Ex President Jonathan Is Hopeful Nigeria Will Cross Over Insecurity

Former President Goodluck
Jonathan

Former Nigerian President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan has expressed optimism that Nigeria will get over the current ugly security challenges.

“I believe that with the commitment of the governors and the Federal Government, we will be able to address the issue of security in the country.

“I believe that the President himself is not sleeping and that the governors are not sleeping as well over the insecurity challenge in the country.

“As long as the governors, the President, and all the security agencies can work together, Nigeria will be able to cross over this very ugly phase of societal evolution.

Ex President Jonathan spoke today, March 5 during a condolence visit to the Delta State Governor, Ifeanyi Okowa, at Government House in Asaba, over the death of his father, Sir Okorie Okowa..

He said that there is need for synergy to de-escalate tension occasioned by the country’s security challenges, even as he denied the rumour that he is gunning for the 2023 presidency, describing it as a mere speculation.

He promised that he would rather continue to serve God, humanity, Africa, and the world “to the best of my ability and with all sense of commitment and sincerity.”

No Coronavirus In Kogi, My People Will Not Take Vaccine, Gov Yahaya Bello Insists

The Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello, has insisted that there is no coronavirus in his state even as he made it clear that no one in the state will submit to the AstraZeneca/Oxford COVID-19 vaccines being expected to be brought into the country soon .

Governor Yahaya Bello, who spoke today, March 5, on Channels Television’s ‘Politics Today’ programme, maintained that there is nothing medically wrong with him and that he won’t allow the people of the state to be used as “guinea pigs.”

The governor said: “COVID-19 is not our business in Kogi State. We have more pertinent issues and more pertinent matters that we are attending to in Kogi State. Insecurity we met, we’ve tackled it and several others. Disunity we met on ground and we have united Kogi State today not COVID-19.

“COVID-19 is just a minute aspect of what we are treating or handling in Kogi State; there have been outbreaks of Lassa Fever and Yellow Fever and those were handled without making noise about it.

“The last Yellow Fever (outbreak), we vaccinated out people against Yellow Fever, we encouraged them, we educated them and they felt the impact…If the Federal Government is gracious enough and give us COVID-19 vaccines, we will equally sensitise our people, people who wish to come and take can come and take but I am not going to subject the people of Kogi State to vaccines or vaccination and I will not make them the guinea pigs.

“Mr. President is the leader of this country. I respect him so high; all of us respect him so much. We love him and he is leading by example. If he needs to take the vaccines and he takes it, it is a welcome development.

“As far as I am concerned, I as a person, I don’t need to take vaccines. There is nothing wrong with me, I am hale and hearty. I am 100 per cent healthy…I won’t take any vaccine.”

Peace Will Soon Return To Nigeria, Defence Chief Assures Buhari, Nigerians

Nigeria’s Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabor has assured President Muhammadu Buhari and Nigerians peace will soon return to the country

“Nigeria will have peace again. Based on the mandate, we will address all issues, working with all other security organizations.”

General Lucky Irabor, who responded to the marching order President Buhari gave to the new service chiefs at a ceremony in the Presidential villa, Abuja, to decorate them with their new ranks today, March 5, stressed that they will not fail in their responsibilities as the presidential mandate is clear.

President Buhari had charged the service chiefs to speed up their actions in freeing the country from the current state of insecurity.

“During our four-hour security meeting, on Tuesday, I had taken the responsibility as Commander-in-Chief for you to go out into the field and secure the country.

“You have got a few weeks to do that because by the rainy season, we expect people to develop confidence and go back to the land, so that we don’t get into trouble by being away from the field and therefore unable to produce enough food for the nation.”

He told the service chiefs to see their appointment, clearance and decoration as a vote of confidence on them.

“For those (of you) that have been confirmed by this ceremony, the decoration, in front of your spouses, is a further confidence loudly expressed on you on behalf of the nation, to respond to the insecurity the country is in,  and the nation looks up to you  for rapid relief.”

He assured them of his firm support as they deliver on their responsibilities.

“I have accepted responsibility for your actions in the field; it’s up to you to identify your competent officers irrespective of seniority and paper qualification and deploy them to make sure that we secure this country.

“We all look forward to you to perform and I as the Commander-in- Chief, I am backing you hundred per cent, and I expect you to effectively deploy your officers and men to secure the country.”

Others who were decorated are Lieutenant General Ibrahim Attahiru as Chief of Army Staff, Vice Admiral Awwal Gambo as Chief of Naval Staff and Air Marshal Isiaka Amao as Chief of Air Staff.

NAN Boss Begs Online Publishers To Avoid Disinformation, Misinformation, Lies

The Managing Director of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Buki Ponle, has advised members of the Guild of Corporate Online Publishers (GOCOP) to stay away from disinformation, misinformation and total lies that have characterized social media practice in the country now.

Buku Ponle, who spoke in Abuja when a delegation from the Guild, led by its President, Dotun Oladipo, paid him a courtesy visit in his office, further asked members of the Guild to use the noble platforms to correct the ills in the society and highlight many developmental strides of the present government.
“No matter what, criticisms are needed but when they are not healthy criticisms or not in line with development, they will bring reaction.”
“In recent times, we have witnessed news disinformation, misinformation and total lies just to serve a purpose, but it does not help us. It is high time we all looked forward to helping our country to get it out of this.”
The leaders and key members of the Guild were in the headquarters of the news agency to seek for partnership in the area of reducing the cost of its services being rendered to the platforms of the members, to which the NAN boss assured that it would review its operations, even as he appealed to Guild members to take what it could offer presently.

“We have in the past months reviewed our operations and added value; the ratings are there. I will urge you just to bear with us now. It is painful for us to review upwards. But how do we survive?
“We can only survive if we add just a little for us to do what you are expecting us to do.
“If NAN were to be a private organisation, it would either go down or increase its price to be at par with the market situation. To do it the previous way does not pay us.
“We have considered so many issues and put so many things into criticism before we came up with the slight increase we have added.”
Earlier, Dotun Oladipo said that the economic downturn had hit members of the Guild, even as he acknowledged the role NAN has been playing in the area of in intervention in terms of stories and wide coverage.
“But for the online platform, it has not worked that way; we discovered that for both government and private businesses the level of patronage has drastically dropped due to bad economy, which has led to downsizing in most places.
“Our records will testify that since we started, we have always fulfilled our part in terms of payment in spite of the level of hardship and COVID-19 pandemic challenges.”
Dotun Oladipo described the Guild as a body of eminently qualified journalists, adding that for one to qualify for its membership, the benchmark is that the journalist must have practiced for more than 10 years in a reputable organization.
According to him, the journalist must have risen to not less than the position of the level of an Assistant Editor to qualify to be a member to sustain professionalism.
“Because we have seen a lot of disinformation and falsehood online and the question has always been how to help the country to overcome this challenge.
“We have seen in the last couple of years how the social media has developed and being put to negative use by many Nigerians
“How do we step in when there is authentic information to dwell on and we also believe that with the number of years that those who are members of this association have put into journalism, they have a name and people who keep following them wherever they go.”

Advertisement ADVERTORIAL
WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com