A Nigerian cross-dresser, Mr. Idris Okuneye, popularly known as Bobrisky has been arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over currency mutilation and abuse of naira notes. EFCC spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, told Channels Television in a telephone chat today, April 4, that the cross-dresser was arrested in Lagos yesterday night. “He (Bobrisky) was arrested Wednesday night in Lagos,” the anti-graft agency official told our correspondent. “He has been detained at our Lagos Office and will be charged to court.” Bobrisky has been in the news for various controversial reasons, including winning the “Best Dressed Female” Award at a movie premiere on March 25, 2024, a development which many entertainers attacked.
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has raised alarm over the proposed 300% increase in electricity tariffs, cautioning against its implementation amidst the current economic challenges facing Nigerians.
With rising food prices and widespread hunger, the NLC warns that such a hike would exacerbate the hardship experienced by citizens.
Acting Deputy General Secretary of the NLC, Comrade Ismail Bello, emphasized the need for the government to prioritize addressing immediate needs rather than imposing additional financial burdens on the populace.
The NLC’s stance reflects a broader call for social responsibility and consideration for the welfare of the Nigerian people during these challenging times.
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UN-OCHA) has lamented that major donors who provide funds for humanitarian assistance are cutting down on their funds.
The head of the office in Nigeria, Trond Jensen, made this known when he visited the Director General of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Mrs Zubaida Umar, in Abuja.
He said that the development has made it imperative for both agencies to pull their resources together and work smarter to provide solutions to the humanitarian issues.
He said that this year UN-OCHA is looking for 20 per cent fewer funds to meet the needs of almost 300 million people globally, and that due to such challenges, there is the need to be in partnership with NEMA and draw strengths from each other to solve humanitarian issues.
He explained that the partnership meant there should be effective and efficient means in solving problems, underscoring the need to tap from local resources.
Jensen said that various humanitarian issues including increased temperatures and irregular weather patterns, stressing the need to find ways to prevent and mitigate natural disasters.
On her part, Mrs Umar said it was on record that “we have worked tirelessly to alleviate the suffering of people affected by disasters and build the resilience of communities in Nigeria to enable them develop their capacity for adaptation to ongoing and emerging hazards.
“This, we have done through the improvement of our early warning systems, sensitisation and awareness campaigns, development and review of plans and policies, regular stakeholders’ engagement and the prepositioning of relief materials for deployment in the event of sudden onset disasters.”
She said that the collaboration between NEMA and UN-OCHA had been instrumental in enabling the agency to enhance its response capabilities and reach out to more people in need.
Oil marketers in Nigeria have commenced the lifting of diesel and aviation fuel from the Dangote Refinery, signaling a significant development in the domestic fuel market.
The move is expected to enhance supply and distribution efficiency, ultimately benefiting consumers across the country.
With discussions between marketers and financial institutions advancing, the stage is set for increased accessibility and affordability of petroleum products.
The collaboration between industry stakeholders and the operation of the Dangote Refinery herald a new era of growth and stability in Nigeria’s energy sector, offering hope for improved economic prospects and livelihoods.
The Igbo Community Assembly has demanded accountability and respect from the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Barr. Nyesom Wike, following the controversial demolition of a property belonging to Prince Nicholas Ukachukwu.
Expressing outrage over derogatory remarks allegedly made by the minister during the enforcement action, the Igbo community called for a public apology within seven days.
The incident has reignited discussions on land rights, rule of law, and ethnic relations in Nigeria, highlighting the need for transparency and justice in governance.
As tensions escalate, the demand for accountability underscores the importance of upholding democratic principles and protecting the rights of all citizens.
Former President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed his grief over the death of veteran labour leader and former President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) Ali Chiroma.
In a condolence message issued by his spokesperson when in office, Garba Shehu, the former President said that the deceased left behind notable contributions to the economy and the labour movement well beyond the borders of the nation. “Ali Chiroma was indomitable. Full of life, insightful and fearless as a leader. He leaves behind a notable contribution to the labour movement and to my political career as an ardent supporter who stood by me before and during my years in the office of president. “My thoughts and prayers are with the bereaved family, the government, and the people of Borno State. May Allah give them the fortitude to bear the loss.” Ali Ibrahim Ciroma died at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, Maiduguri, Borno State capital yesterday, April 2. A family statement read: “it is with deep sorrow that I announce the death of Comrade Ali Ciroma, former President of the Nigeria Labour Congress. “The sad event occurred this evening (Tuesday, April 2) at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital. “The burial for the repose of the deceased will be held tomorrow Wednesday 4pm at the residence of the deceased No.7A along Galadima Road near Muhammadu Shuwa Memorial Hospital (Nursing Home), Maiduguri.” Ciroma was the president of the NLC from 1984 to 1988 when he was forced out of office by the then military administration of General Ibrahim Babangida, which dissolved the union. The Sani Abacha administration brought him back into unionism, appointing him as the Sole Administrator of the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers.
A middle aged man, Oriyomi Hamzat has lamented that none of the four children he raised with his wife for 16 years is his biological kid. The Oriyomi Hamzat said that he confirmed the truth after a DNA test he conducted on the children, aged 16, 12, 8 and 5 years old. He said that his wife’s younger sister assisted with the shocking discovery. “I wouldn’t have known if not for my wife’s younger sister. Sadly, my wife never saw it as something evil.”
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has uncovered at least 1,665 fake Advance Level results, out of which over 140 are from Bayero University Kano (BUK). The discovery was made during the Direct Entry registration process that had just been concluded. The board’s weekly bulletin, made available to newsmen in Abuja today, April 2, said that the Registrar, Professor Is’haq Oloyede made this known when he received officials of the National Association of Nigeria Colleges of Education Students in his office. Professor Oloyede was quoted as saying that the A level results verification was occasioned by the endemic corruption associated with the system and the need to restore the integrity of the admission process. He said that JAMB was dumbfounded by the startling revelations from Bayero University, Kano, where out of the 148 Direct Entry applications to the institution, only six of the certificates forwarded for processing were genuine. According to him, out of the fake results, 397 were from Colleges of Education, 453 university diplomas and the rest for other A’level certificates. He advised the institutions to take measures to safeguard the integrity of their certificates. He said that JAMB would continue to scrutinise the certificates through measures that would stand the test of time. The registrar recalled that in the past, when a candidate applied for Direct Entry, the Board would simply ask awarding institutions to do the necessary screening and due diligence. He said said that it was the discovery of this monumental fraud that prompted the meeting of critical stakeholders, who met to chart ways of combating the menace. Part of the measures suggested, he said, was the constitution of an A’level result verification task force as well as the creation of a common platform for the verification of A’level results and certificates. He said that the platform is reliable and user-friendly as it only takes five minutes to verify any certificate. Professor Oloyede said that the board had adopted “No verification, No admission” policy. The registrar said that 15 institutions have not sufficiently complied with the verification requests from the board, adding that more than 20 unverified candidates were affected. He said that the board would have to pre-verify candidates applying with the certificates of the 15 institutions before they could complete their DE registration process. According to him, in the ongoing DE registration, candidates could go ahead and register while the school verify them at the backend. He said that the 15 institutions, which are yet to fully comply, would have to pre-verify holders of their certificates before they complete registration process. Source: NAN.
A 50-year-old Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Gbolahan Olugbemi has been found dead in mysterious manner in his country home at Ogbomoso, Oyo State, where he had gone for the Easter holiday. The body of DCP Olugbemi, who was serving at the Force Criminal Intelligence and Investigations Department (FCIID), Alagbon, Lagos, was reportedly found alone in his mansion. Police authorities are yet to disclose their findings. A senior police officer said the Force was investigating to unravel the mystery behind his action as he left no suicide note. Until his mysterious death, the DCP served at the FCID Annex Alagbon close, Ikoyi Lagos. But the police through the FCID spokesperson, ASP Aminat Mayegun have said that they were going to investigate his death and that the former Personal Assistant to late DIG Israel Ajao and late CP Young Arebame couldn’t not have committed suicide. The police said they would probe who first saw his body, where he was coming from and who was with him at the time he entered his room including who had his two handsets as of the time of death. They said that DCP Olugbemi, from enlistment into the police Force had juicy postings and was gradually nearing his retirement and that his death has left much to be desired. Insider sources said the A United Nations medalist in Law Enforcement and Administration, Olugbemi had served as the ADC to the late Oyo State Governor, Alao Akala. He was DPO at Ilupeju, Area Commander at Ajah in Lagos, and he had earlier served as Personal Assistant (P A) to two Lagos State Commissioners of Police, the late CP Young Arebamen and the late DIG Israel Ajao. Olugbemi, who had received training in Terrorism and Counterterrorism in Operations, had received several awards in Nigeria and abroad, and he had been celebrated in the media for several good deeds in the course of his career. He was a graduate of the University of Lagos and the Olabisi Onabanjo University respectively.
In a historic moment for Senegal, opposition candidate Bassirou Diomaye Faye, aged 44, has been inaugurated as the nation’s fifth president.
Faye assumed office today, April 2, succeeding former president Macky Sall, in a ceremony held in the new town of Diamniadio, near the capital Dakar.
The event, attended by African leaders and dignitaries includin, marks a significant milestone for Senegal and the African continent.
Among the distinguished guests was Nigeria’s President and Chairman of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Authority of Heads of States and Government, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, underscoring the regional importance of Faye’s inauguration.
As the youngest elected president in Africa, Faye’s ascent to power signals a new era for Senegal, characterized by promises of radical reform and visionary leadership.
We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. By clicking “Accept”, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies.
This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.