Amid the mourning of the Ohinoyi of Ebira land, Dr. AbdulRahman Ado Ibrahim, the Ebira Youth Congress (EYC) has called for unity among the Ebira people.
In a statement today, October 30, by Obiyo Ateiza Aliyu, the President-General, the EYC emphasized the need for unity in the Ebira community.
“The sudden departure of King Ado Ibrahim has disrupted our collective goals. We implore our clan institutions and the people to maintain composure, select their words thoughtfully, and collaborate to bridge the gap left behind.”
Aliyu expressed concerns on the current challenges in the land, even as he commended all those who pay their respects to the late king and offer sincere condolences.
Aliyu also emphasized that unity and the well-being of the community are vital for the continued advancement and prosperity of the Ebira people.
The EYC President-General prayed for the soul of the departed Ohinoyi to rest in peace.
President Bola Tinubu has described the late Paramount traditional ruler of Ebiraland in Kogi State, His Majesty, Alhaji Dr. Ado Ibrahim, as a king in a class of his own. In a condolence message today, October 29, few hours after the death of the 94 year old monarch in Abuja, President Tinubu said that the death of the Ohinoyi is a painful loss to all Nigerians and Africans. He said that the late monarch was peace-loving, affable and cerebral. “The Ohinoyi of Ebiraland was in a class of his own. He was highly respected and admired for his deep insights, wisdom and sophistication. “He had a masterful way of handling issues. He was very knowledgeable and wise.” The President sympathised with Egbira people across the country and in Diaspora, the government and people of Kogi State over the loss of the monarch, who was the Acting Chairman of the Kogi State Council of Traditional Rulers. President Tinubu prayed to Allah “to grant His Majesty Aljannah Firdaus.” He asked the good people of Kogi State to take solace in the legacy of peace and fellowship left behind by the late monarch.
In a somber moment for the Ebira people and the entire nation, the Ohinoyi of Ebiraland, Dr. AbdulRahman Ado Ibrahim, has breathed his last at the age of 94. The venerable monarch, who had been at the helm of Ebiraland’s traditional leadership, passed away in the early hours of Sunday, October 29, 2023, while under medical care at an undisclosed hospital in Abuja, following a brief illness.
Dr. AbdulRahman Ado Ibrahim, a well-known figure in both traditional and entrepreneurial circles, had presided as the Ohinoyi of Ebiraland since ascending the throne on June 2, 1997, following the demise of his predecessor, late Sanni Omolori. He was the fourth independent traditional ruler, and his reign was marked by significant contributions to the culture and heritage of the Ebira people.
Born on February 7, 1929, Dr. AbdulRahman Ado Ibrahim was the son of the second attah (now “Ohinoyi”) of Ebiraland, Ibrahim Onoruoiza, from the Omadivi clan, who reigned from 1917 to 1954. Dr. Ibrahim’s legacy extended beyond his traditional role; he was also a distinguished entrepreneur and philanthropist. Notably, he oversaw the construction of his remarkable Azad Palace, which stands as a testament to his commitment to preserving the cultural heritage of Ebiraland.
Dr. AbdulRahman Ado Ibrahim’s educational journey was equally impressive. He began his academic pursuits in both Western nursery and Quranic schools before completing his primary education at the Native Authority (NA) primary school in Okene, Northern Region (now Kogi State) in 1940. His thirst for knowledge led him to Ondo Boys High School and later to Oduduwa College, where he graduated in 1949. He furthered his education by obtaining a bachelor’s degree in Economics from the London School of Economics in 1954, and in 1959, he secured a master’s degree from Harvard Business School.
The passing of Dr. AbdulRahman Ado Ibrahim marks the end of an era in Ebiraland’s history. His contributions to the preservation of the Ebira culture, his dedication to education, and his unwavering commitment to the betterment of his people will be remembered for generations to come.
The nation mourns the loss of a distinguished traditional leader and visionary. Funeral arrangements are expected to be announced in due course, allowing the Ebira people and well-wishers to pay their respects to this eminent figure in Ebiraland’s history.
Kano State government has concluded arrangement to borrow the sum N4 billion from Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), for the completion of Tiga and Challawa Hydro-electric power projects. The follows the approval of the request of Governor Abba Kabir-Yusuf by the State House of Assembly. Presenting the motion, the Majority Leader of the House, Lawan Hussaini (NNPP- Dala), said that the loan has a single-digit interest and therefore not harmful to the economy of the state. He said that the project, when completed, would help in revving ailing industries in the state. The Tiga Independent Power Plant project, according to sources, was initiated by the administration of the former Governor Rabi’u Musa Kwankwaso, to generate 35MW, using Challawa and Tiga dams. Governor Abdullahi Ganduje who came into power in 2015, continued with the project. The new governor, Kabir-Yusuf, had sent a letter of request to the house seeking for its approval which was read by the Speaker, Ismail Falgore at plenary. The governor said that the soft loan would be used for the completion of the project aimed at boosting the economy of the state through reviving industries, irrigation farming and powering street lights around the city. Source: NAN.
A retiring Supreme Court Justice, Musa Dattijo Muhammad, has expressed regret that the judiciary has turned into what he called “something else” in Nigeria. He further regretted that the judiciary he joined years ago is not the same that he is now retiring from. Justice Muhammad, who bowed out of the apex court bench, after 47 years in active judicial service, at a valedictory session yesterday, October 27, said: “My lords, distinguished invitees, ladies and gentlemen, it is obvious that the judiciary I am exiting from is far from the one I voluntarily joined and desired to serve and be identified with. The institution has become something else.” He said that the judiciary, as presently structured, gave so much power to the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), who has the power to make decisions without consulting other justices. “As presently structured, the CJN is Chairman of the NJC, which oversees both the appointment and discipline of judges, he is equally Chair of the Federal Judicial Service Commission (FJSC), the National Judicial Institute (NJI), the Legal Practitioners Privileges Committee (LPPC) that appoints Senior Advocate of Nigeria. “In my considered opinion, the oversight functions of these bodies should not rest on an individual alone. A person with absolute powers, it is said, corrupts easily and absolutely.” Justice Muhammad alleged that the refusal to fill the vacant slot of South East on the apex court bench is deliberate, blaming it on “absolute powers vested in the office of the CJN.” He said that with his retirement, the North Central zone, which he represented, would no longer have a Justice on the Supreme Court bench. “My lord Hon. Justice Ejembi Eko JSC, who also represented the zone, retired on 23rd of May, 2022. It has been a year and five months now. There has not been any replacement. “With the passing of my lord, Hon. Justice Chima Centus Nweze, JSC on 29th July 2023, the South East no longer has any presence at the Supreme Court. My lord, Hon. Justice Sylvester Nwali Ngwuta JSV died on 7th March 2021. There has not been any appointment in his stead for the South East. “As it stands, only four geo-political regions- the South-West, South-South, North-West and North-East are represented in the Supreme Court. “While the South-South and North-East have two serving justices, the North-West and South-West are fully represented with three each. “Appropriate steps could have been taken since to fill outstanding vacancies in the apex court. Why have these steps not been timeously taken? “It is evident that the decision not to fill the vacancies in the court is deliberate. It is all about the absolute powers vested in the office of the CJN and the responsible exercise of same.” Justice Muhammad lamented the poor funding and welfare of judges, saying that the budgetary allocation for the Judiciary increased from 70 billion in 2015 to 165 billion presently, “Justices and officers welfare and the quality of service the judiciary render have continued to decline.” He said that it was as a result of allegations of corruption and perversion of justice that made former President Muhammadu Buhari to order the invasion of homes and arrest of some judges in 2016. “Not done, in 2019 the government accosted, arrested and arraigned the incumbent Chief Justice before the Code of Conduct Tribunal for alleged underhand conduct. “With his retirement apparently negotiated, he was eventually left off the hook. “In 2022, a letter signed by all other justices of the Supreme Court, including the current Chief Justice, the aggrieved protested against the shabby treatment meted to them by the head of court and the Chief Registrar. “In the event, his lordship Ibrahim Tanko Muhammad disengaged ostensibly on grounds of ill-health.”
The Federal Government of Nigeria has called for an immediate cease fire and sustained humanitarian truce between Israeli forces and Hamas in the Gaza conflict. A statement today, October 28, in Bauchi, by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Yusuf M. Tuggar, said: “the Federal Government of Nigeria calls on all parties involved to immediately agree to a ceasefire and engage in diplomatic negotiations to resolve the conflict.” The statement advised both parties to exercise utmost restraint and prioritize the safety and well-being of civilians.
“Indiscriminate attacks that result in civilian casualties must be avoided at all costs.” The statement said that the situation in Gaza is dire and requires immediate attention as a result of the recent uptick in violence. “Women, children, and other vulnerable groups are among Innocent civilians that have suffered greatly as a result of the indiscriminate violence and are currently bearing the consequences. “The parties in the conflict must uphold the fundamental values of human rights and international humanitarian law, which places a premium on ensuring civilians’ safety and well-being even in times of conflict. “The Federal Government of Nigeria is calling on the Israeli Government to grant humanitarian access to the millions of people that have been displaced since the crisis broke. “The lack of water, food, medical supplies and fuel shortages have compounded the humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza. “The prayer of the Nigerian nation is with those who have lost their lives in the conflict and families that have suffered human and material losses, and also those that are currently recuperating from injuries.” The minister reiterated the call by the government of Nigeria, for a quick de-escalation of hostilities by both sides and a return to the negotiating table to continue the search for peaceful resolutions, “as well as implementation of the two-state solution as a permanent settlement of the intergenerational cycle of violence.” Source: Fact Check
The President of the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and Leader of Nigeria’s delegation to the 147th Inter-Parliamentary Union General Assembly in Luanda, Angola has broken a 59 year old jinx by being elected into the Executive Committee of the global parliamentary body. The last time Nigeria was elected into the Executive Committee of the Parliamentary Union was in 1964. The Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) is the global organization of national parliaments founded in 1889, and dedicated to promoting peace through parliamentary diplomacy and dialogue. It has grown over its 135 years into a truly global organization with 179 country members out of 193 countries in the world. The IPU facilitates parliamentary diplomacy and empowers parliaments and parliamentarians to promote peace, democracy and sustainable development around the world. The 147th IPU Assembly was held in Luanda, Angola, from 21st to 27th October 2023 and hosted by the National Assembly of Angola. The Union in the week long Assembly deliberated upon important issues affecting nations across the world and considered actions to strengthen trust between people and governance structures, to make public institutions more effective, accountable and representative, and to better equip parliaments to address the multiple interconnected geopolitical, economic and environmental crises facing the world.
Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno state has announced that Boko Haram vestiges have been extricated from all the community in the state.
The governor, who spoke to newsmen after a private meeting with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu at the Presidential Villa in Abuja today, October 27, said that the security situation in the state has improved by over 85 per cent in the last couple of years.
“To be sincere and candid, security situation in Borno State has improved by more than 85 percent. Economic activities is ongoing perfectly in Borno state. “I just read some script few days ago saying that insurgency is increasing in Borno State. The story is not right. The Nigerian army is giving us the desired cooperation, the police, the paramilitary as well as airforce and all other components of the Nigerian military are supporting us. “But most importantly, I want to assure you that as the chief security officer of Borno State, the state is doing well in terms of security. There is serious improvement in our security situation. “And I commend the service chiefs for their efforts and I commend the President of the federal republic of Nigeria.” Asked if he was reassuring that all is well with all the local government areas that used to be under the control of insurgents, the governor said: “honestly speaking, none of the 27 local government areas of Borno State are under the control of insurgents. “However, we have few local government areas that we want to ensure that people are completely resettled. “Now, people are partially resettled there, especially Abadam local government and then Guzamala local government. “But by and large, in terms of security situation in Borno state, I think the government is doing very well, the Nigerian military is also doing very well. And then nothing has happened, we keep on improving.” The governor said that the President has assured the six state governments and the entire people of the north-east states that he would provide the necessary equipment needed to curtail the menace of insurgency not only in the north east but in the entire country.
The Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Buses were presented to the State House today , October 27, by the Presidential Compressed Natural Gas Initiative P-CNGi at the Presidential Villa in Abuja.
“Yes, we have challenges economically now but we still have what it takes to lead Africa.” This is the verdict of the former President of Nigeria, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan when he spoke to newsmen shortly after an audience with President Bola Tinubu at the Presidential villa, Abuja, today, October 27. Jonathan, who congratulated President Tinubu on his final victory at judicial level, appealed to political leaders in the opposition to join hands in moving the country forward. “You will see more of me because there are certain things we discussed (with President Tinubu) and the country must move forward. Elections are over and so we must move forward.”
He said that after the Supreme Court judgement, political leaders, including former Presidents, need to come together. “We will not be fighting. If top leaders continue to fight, they will not suffer that much but the down trodden will suffer “And we want to end that tension so we move forward.” Dr. Jonathan said that he had interacted with many African leaders at various fora, one of which was with Professor Lumumba, who emphasized the need for Nigeria to take a lead in Africa. He said that he would continue to have conversations with President Tinubu on some issues, including briefing him on all his foreign programmes. “They are not personal issues: traditionally, former Presidents, when they go outside the country for continental or regional programs, and even some international, when they come home, they brief the incumbent President. That is the tradition. “Most atimes, when you see me here, that is what I come to do: to move Nigeria forward and to move ECOWAS forward and to move African continent forward.”
We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. By clicking “Accept”, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies.
This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.